1" round ball mould

http://www.ballmoulds.com

Dixie Gun Works might have something. Otherwise, do you know any talented machinists?
If you only need a handful you might be able to make a plaster mold or something that would suffice.
If you have a cannon a bunch of people I know have managed to scrounge ball bearings the right size too.
 
I'd just go here as was suggested: http://www.ballmoulds.com

The problem with Fishing Weight Molds is that they are typically designed for specific weights, not diameters. A 1" diameter pure lead sphere will weigh about 3.4 ounces and you won't find that. 1" diameter is between a 4 and 5 Gauge Shotgun bore.......

A round ball is nice because it doesn't need lube grooves. Cylinders require either lube grooves or to be paper-patched.

Here's a pic of a mold I made for a Snider (0.690") by modifying a Lee mold. All I did was drill to just under the land diameter (0.578") and then tap the mold using a tap whose outside diameter was a bit over the groove diameter (0.625"). I then sized it down to 0.590" in this case.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?5026-Home-Made-Mold-with-Spiral-Lube-Groove

attachment.php


If you're so inclined, you could make a mold like above using:

- 2" wide X 1" thick X 1" long aluminum;
- clamped together and drilled for a 1"-8 Tap (with a 7/8" drill), or 1"-14 Tap (with a 59/64" drill); and
- you'd need to fabricate a sprue plate.
 
Last edited:
I have a 1.09 inch ball mold that was made for my cannon, sold the cannon just no way to make it smaller, not hard to make if you have access to a milling machine and a 1 inch ball nose cutter
 
well I have a mill and a lathe, and I think ill see if I cant find a ball and build one yes

send me a pm and I can help with the machine process, not sure what a ball mill is worth but for a one off the cheapest the better, if you jusr want a 2 inch square of aluminum with the ball cut with alignment pins I can do that and you finish it off how you want
 
Back
Top Bottom