10 gauge antique

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
Hey fellas!
I was wondering if anyone else encountering some small difficulties with thier Parker Brothers 10 gauge all brass hulls.
In one shotgun, my Prussian drilling 8 out of 26 would not fully chamber. 2 7/8 virgin brass.
However my Parkhurst and Winchester 1901 zero difficulties.

I did read on an American forum this brass, the slightly raised portion on the case head might need to be filed so less proud.
I am hesitant to do so as I think this would cause primers to not be able seated flush.
Anyone encounter similar difficulties?
Certainly these shotguns to not follow a SAAMI spec or otherwise.
Cheers
 
Are you sure it is a 2 7/8" chamber on the drilling? Some 10 gauges, especially British, have 2 5/8" or other lengths. It wasn't really standardized back then.
 
For that to be a correct statement, Nick Makinson a Birmingham trained gunmaker presently residing near London Ontario would have to be mistaken.

Simple test is to tap an empty brass case fully into the chamber with a wooden or brass mallet then check to determine if the mouth of the case has been swaged in slightly. Recently had a similar situation with a 20 ga. Makinson was wrong on a project for me many years ago.....just saying.
 
Back
Top Bottom