1849 colt repair question

rgbai

Regular
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Location
b.c. interior
What would be my best option for fixing this colt cylinder i just bought this gun recently and have replaced almost every part and didn't notice until i installed all the new parts that someone drilled out one of the cylinder Ratchet teeth.
My guess is they were going to tap it and install a screw and then shape it,what I'm wondering is should i do it this way or would i be better off building it up with weld? none of the Ratchet teeth look all that great but the other 4 index the way they should.

DSCF3905_zpsb3e80450.jpg



DSCF3898_zps5a83308d.jpg
 
I wouldn't weld it if you intend to shoot the gun, the heat could play havoc with the steel and weaken it. The threading a screw in and shaping it would work and when you have it shaped and working you could lok-tite it in place.
What is the rest of the cylinder like, is there any stage coach hold-up scene left? Is it numbers matching to the rest of the gun??
The reason I ask is because I have a cylinder which came from a gun that I found a "new" cylinder for and the ratchet is still very good on it,the only problem outside of its overall beat-up condition is one of the nipples is plugged up and needs to be drilled out to open it up again.

Here is a picture of the gun and the cylinder that I mentioned:

1849Daylight001.jpg


And this is a Picture after installing the new cylinder and fixing it up:

1849PocketmoldandGun001.jpg
 
Last edited:
If you are going with the damaged cylnder, I don't think welding would create any major problems. It would probably allow you to clean up the other teeth at the same time. Be sure to leave the front of the teeth untouched so that the cylinder indexes with the barrel. In the 1850s and 60s cylinders would have been fairly soft and low carbon. The surface was probably case hardened but I doubt that there is any heat treating to undo with the welding. Also be careful not to get spatter in the hole for the cylinder pin

cheers mooncoon
 
I agree that by preheating the cylinder slightly a SKILLED welder using a a MIG welder should be able to build it up without problems. I used to repair damaged punches and dies for powdered metallurgy work that had been hardened to fairly high rockwell hardness using compatible filler rods. A skilled welder from tool and die or aircraft work can do this for you. As was already mentioned, maintain front faces for matching welded surfaces down to.
 
something I forgot to mention is that the metal probably has inclusions which will bubble to the surface during the welding. I had a very skilled welder repair a hammer on a cartridge shotgun for me and I recall him complaining that he had to weld it several times because of the inclusions. That was on a Greener shotgun from the 1890s. Having said that, I still think that welding or perhaps silver soldering (45% Ag) is far preferrable to using a screw

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom