1859/1863 Cavalry Carbine Sharps

Paden Full

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Location
Sudbury, ON
Greetings,

I am interested in buying an 1859/1863 Cavalry Carbine Sharps and was wondering if anyone knew where you could buy one, other than hoping to find a used one?

Does anyone know of any dealers in Canada who bring these in?

Thanks,

Matt
 
Last edited:
I believe that Shiloh make these in the US, order direct, not sure if the wait is the same as with their '74s, not sure about Italian knock-offs.
 
Go to the Davide Pedersoli website, they make fine Sharps reproductions. There are several dealers in Canada that you can link to from their website.
 
Greetings,

I am interested in buying an 1863 Cavalry Sharps and was wondering if anyone knew where you could buy one, other than hoping to find a used one?

Does anyone know of any dealers in Canada who bring these in?

Thanks,

Matt
w.oldwestguns.ca/products/category.php?id_category=62
 
Marstar has several by different manufacturers. I purchased both the Pedersoli "Sniper" and the Chapparal Arms "Cavalry Carbine" from them last year. They are both excellent firearms.

This is for the carbine.
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-Chaparral/1874-Rif.shtm

You can buy 45-70 brass from Higginsons and find cast lead bullets in the 200 grain weight locally. For plinking I used a heavy 45 long colt bullet with 11grains of Unique with no wad and it performs really well at shorter distances and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

For reloading data and general information you can visit
w ww.assra.com. They are a single shot rifle forum and talk a lot about the 45-70 round.
 
Hate to break the news to some people, but the 1863 Sharps carbine was actually designed in 1859 and used a paper cartridge, NOT the 45-70...Two different firearms.....
 
Some modern knockoffs may look like '63s but be chambered in 45/70, not sure, but you are right, a paper cartridge that opened(cut) by the raising of the breech block, some of these orig. '63 and/or '59 used the Maynard tape priming system.
 
I once owned an original, it had been remodeled for the .50-70, using the original barrel. Others were re-barreled to .45 and other calibres in different case lengths. JFYI.
 
Greetings,

Thank you all for your responses. Just to be clear, yes, I am looking for an 1859 or 1863 paper cartridge Cavalry carbine. It is being used for Civil War reenactment so no cartridge Sharps of any kind will do.

Thank you,

Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom