1860 barrel dilemma?

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
So, long story short, I ended up with a NOS .36 calibre barrel & wedge(modern Colt manufacture) when I actually ordered a .44 cap & ball barrel to fit an original Colt 1860 revolver. It came from the states, and of course, it was thier last 1860(?) barrel in stock. I was wondering, if it came down to it, if I have the option of fitting an 1851 cylinder to this frame & commit it to the smaller calibre? Or, is this a bad idea from the get go? I'm waiting to hear from a gunsmith if it is viable to re-bore this to 44 also. The original barrel has a slight bulge in it, and this is why I wanted a new one. This NOS in the white barrel has the rounded streamlined contour of the 1860 style & the loading lever should fit fine to my eyes. (front sight & catch) But the two front mounting frame arbors are just ever so slightly out of alignment though.

Seeking out informed opinions........
 
Last edited:
I think you need to check the compatibility of the new parts with the old. I think you might find that cylinder pin sizes differ as well as possibly some other features. If the bulge in the original barrel is minor, it is probably safe to shoot and shooting it is the only way you will find if it is accurate. I know that I compared a modern 36 navy barrel with an original navy frame and mine are not compatible

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom