1860 Enfield

SIGP2101

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Ottawa
Friend of mine sent me these pics asking if I may be interested. I have no knowledge of what I am looking at.
Would anyone with more expertise shed more light on this? How collectable, valuable this is. I only have these 3 photos of it.

1860Enfield1.jpeg

1860Enfield2.jpeg

1860Enfield3.jpeg
 
It's a snider mk II 3 band long rifle conversion of a muzzle loader.but without most of the expected proof marks on the barrel.and an odd mark on the shoe which I can't quite make out.more pix?
 
Standard Birmingham TP( Tower Proof) proofs showing that the rifle was converted to Snider by civilian contractor.
 
Thanks a lot guys,

No i do not have any more pics, maybe i can acquire some more. What particular area is that I should ask for to be photographed.
Is this wall hanger or collectable item? Ballpark value, give me a range anything?
 
Thanks a lot guys,

No i do not have any more pics, maybe i can acquire some more. What particular area is that I should ask for to be photographed.
Is this wall hanger or collectable item? Ballpark value, give me a range anything?

they are definitely shootable but I find them one of the most difficult guns to shoot accurately, probably because they usually have very shallow rifling. Price locally would be around $400 to $500

cheers mooncoon
 
they are definitely shootable but I find them one of the most difficult guns to shoot accurately, probably because they usually have very shallow rifling. Price locally would be around $400 to $500

cheers mooncoon

So they are nothing special regardless of condition?

Thanks a bunch mooncoon!


SIGP2101
 
I'd like to see pix of the top of the breech to see what that mark is.the gun doesn't show any WD marks or broad arrow marks.so commercial model?
 
So they are nothing special regardless of condition?

They are not uncommon and locally do not bring an exceptionally high price. On the other hand if you are interested in historical British military firearms, they are interesting and worth the challenge of trying to shoot them accurately. They are not as desired as a Sharps or a trapdoor Springfield.

cheers mooncoon
 
With Sniders the accuracy falls off sharply as the bore is worn and or pitted. So the condition of the bore is pretty important if you want to shoot it. This is the firearms that the Canadian Militia used from 1867 to the 1890's so it is in fact a quintessentially Canadian gun when it comes to the history of the armed forces of this country.

If the butt stock has a DC mark (it is usually in a diamond border but not always) stamped into it that denotes Canadian Militia ownership. However it does not seem to significantly increase the price like a US gun that has military markings.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom