1870 Powderhorn (Inscribed) Help.....

1898guns

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought this powderhorn at a country auction about 5 years ago; I have always wanted to know more about it. There are inscriptions on the horn, but I am not certain in what language (seems Dutch, German?). It is hard to read for a few reasons: some has worn off, the inscribing itself is hard to determine and it seems like it was uncompleted. Ahyhow, at some point someone other than the original inscriber (I figure) added the date 1870 in plain scratching. I have no idea. Here is what I can determine some of the words are - hopefully it will be clear to someone with a look at the pics below....

IDRAWLE AHTRM
JOHN BRAUDER (The owner, I figure)
JOHN * BRAU
DER ??? LIE ??? JWAR
RT 1870 _______________ D

I have only seen a few old powderhorns vs. some folks on here that have likely seen dozens and would know much more. Plus I would like to try to figure out what is inscribed if possible. If anyone can offer any info or estimate a value on it, it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

dsc4825.jpg

dsc4817l.jpg

dsc4827.jpg

dsc4824.jpg

dsc4823.jpg

dsc4822.jpg

dsc4821m.jpg

dsc4819j.jpg
 
Last edited:
While I am at it here are 4 related items - 3 powder flasks and a leather pouch filled with shot that has a bone opening (we tell others jokingly it is made of a bulls sack). The red flask is "Curtis's and Harvey's FF Gunpowder, Hounslow and London" The brass one has a neat spring loaded applicator..... OK OK back in the cupboard they go.

dsc4854.jpg
 
While I am at it here are 4 related items - 3 powder flasks and a leather pouch filled with shot that has a bone opening (we tell others jokingly it is made of a bulls sack). The red flask is "Curtis's and Harvey's FF Gunpowder, Hounslow and London" The brass one has a neat spring loaded applicator..... OK OK back in the cupboard they go.

dsc4854.jpg
The one on the left is actually a shot bag, with an adjustable spout!
The center two are in fact powder flacks, and yes, the one on the right would be a shot bag.
Cat
 
Neat Items! Thanks for sharing a piece of firearm history. I've always had a love of the accessories that our ancestors used when shooting,
BillR
 
And you might be right....often bull and bison scrotums were tanned and used as pouches for shot, tobacco, what have you.

As to the inscription, my German is not too shabby, but I can't figure that at all.
 
Another fellow, Jim Cate of the German Gun Collectors Assoc., emailed me. An excellent overview. This is what he had to say:

As best as I can determine your powder horn is a long way from home. After the Civil War ended in 1865 there were many skirmishes (battles) that continued in the southwestern part of the U.S. Some places were still not states, but remained territories. I believe your powderhorn was used by the person whose name appears on it, and he most likely was a member of the Texas Republic Militia before the Civil War was over. Texas, as you recall, left the Union and joined the Confederate States of America. Yes, this person was probably a German immigrant like thousands of others who came to America during the 1840 and 50s. What I see as 7D RAWLES AH TRM probably would translate to 7th Division Rawles (Commander of this division) of the Texas Republic Militia. Most information related to the Confederate Army has been lost or was destroyed immediately after the war. The only thing I know for sure is the rifle was a small caliber rifle that used a small amount of powder for each shot. I have determined this by the size of the 'cane' the powder was poured into to measure it before loading the rifle. Just guessing, I'd say it was a 36 or 40 caliber rifle. Best regards, JIM CATE, consultant for the German Gun Collectors Assoc.
 
Back
Top Bottom