1892 Colt History Help!

HFreedman

Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hey guys,

So I finally received my letter from Colt with the historic information regarding my revolver. I'm trying to dig a little deeper and find out some more information. I thought maybe someone might be able to shed a little more light, or point me in the right direction.

Here's what my info said:

Colt Single Action Army
Ordered by: LeCount
Address: New York
Shipped to: J.S. Brown Hardware Company
Address: Gavelston, Texas
Guns Shipped: 6
Date: Oct 20 1892

It's noted on the document that a second revolver with a matching serial was also made but in a different size and caliber. That revolver was shipped to the Colt London Agency in London, England on Nov.16 1892 in a 20 Gun Shipment.

So I'm trying to find out why a second revolver was made with the same serial and shipped across the seas. Was this common? Was it even common to have two revolvers with the same serial, but different calibers, lengths and finishes?

I've also researched the J.S. Brown Hardware Company. I looked in old newspapers and the internet. Supposedly it was the largest hardware company on the Mason Dixon Line, but there's not much info beside that.

So, whatcha think?
 
Back then, serial numbers where more for inventory control. There was no legal requirement for them. Could have been a slip of the pen in 1892, or maybe the fellow stamping serial numbers was asleep at the switch or doing a shift change. The real treasure now would be to stumble upon the "evil twin."
 
Back then, serial numbers where more for inventory control. There was no legal requirement for them. Could have been a slip of the pen in 1892, or maybe the fellow stamping serial numbers was asleep at the switch or doing a shift change. The real treasure now would be to stumble upon the "evil twin."

I've been looking, trust me. Going to be almost damn near impossible though.
 
Considering it went to England it could have been destroyed when they banned handguns. :mad:
 
I have found some interesting info about LeCount. It actually should read, Le Count.

Mr. Le Count was in charge of ordering supplies for the J.S. Brown Hardware Company. He was located in New York in the Stewart Building.
 
I didn't even realize they had the records for 1892's! How recent can you get? 1897? Do they have them for New Services, too?

I think its a 1873 SAA Colt but he is calling it a 1892 for some reason maby the year its serial number dates it.
1892 colts are DA not SA
 
Back
Top Bottom