1892 winchester 38-40

jethunter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
359   0   0
Location
Central AB
A friend of a friend is wants to sell a Winchester M1892 Sporting Rifle in 38-40 that has been in the family for several generations. . Looks like a good bit of original finish in place and 24" or 26" octagonal barrel. Ser# 73###. I don't know any other info or have any add'l pictures. What in your opinion is it worth on the Canadian market, assuming VG bore and mechanicals and unaltered condition?

P1010092.jpg


P1010089.jpg


P1010087.jpg
 
Last edited:
That seems an awfully long barrel for a .38-40, friend. It really should be measured carefully and then check the rifle out completely.

Thirty-eight-forty (actually a .40-calibre) is much more common in a carbine than in a rifle.

At that time, Winchester would build anything the customer ordered. I have a couple of old Winchesters here with factory extra-long barrels. They are originals, although why anybody would want both a '73 and a '92 in .32-20.... with extra-long barrels... beats me.

That said, I once saw a '94 Carbine, saddle-ring and all, with the pencil barrel, extra-lightweight wood, custom sights, swivels for the Winchester Sling.... SEVEN special-order features in all..... in a .38-55! Thing was in about 95% condition, too. I darned near cried because it wasn't one of mine!

But I do think that you should check that critter out carefully.

Dollars? I don't know anything about them. Living on the Old Age Pension ain't easy!
 
Around my area it would go for around $700-$800 if it's a standard 24 inch octagon rifle. Like smellie says if it's 26 inches long it's a special order gun and probably worth three times that amount. Carbines in the model 92 are usually selling for higher prices same as the model 73, I guess because they lived a harder life and had a low survival rate. Nice looking gun though, fair amount of blue left on the metal.
 
A friend of a friend is wants to sell a Winchester M1892 Sporting Rifle in 38-40 that has been in the family for several generations. . Looks like a good bit of original finish in place and 24" or 26" octagonal barrel. Ser# 73###. I don't know any other info or have any add'l pictures. What in your opinion is it worth on the Canadian market, assuming VG bore and mechanicals and unaltered condition?

P1010092.jpg


P1010089.jpg


P1010087.jpg

The serial # puts that rifle at very early production, around '94 or '95.
Check the bore out well,... they suffered in those years due to black powder loads... very good bores are the exception.
Hope it works out for ya!
 
That seems an awfully long barrel for a .38-40, friend. It really should be measured carefully and then check the rifle out completely.

Thirty-eight-forty (actually a .40-calibre) is much more common in a carbine than in a rifle.

At that time, Winchester would build anything the customer ordered. I have a couple of old Winchesters here with factory extra-long barrels. They are originals, although why anybody would want both a '73 and a '92 in .32-20.... with extra-long barrels... beats me.

That said, I once saw a '94 Carbine, saddle-ring and all, with the pencil barrel, extra-lightweight wood, custom sights, swivels for the Winchester Sling.... SEVEN special-order features in all..... in a .38-55! Thing was in about 95% condition, too. I darned near cried because it wasn't one of mine!

But I do think that you should check that critter out carefully.

Dollars? I don't know anything about them. Living on the Old Age Pension ain't easy!

This one looks to be the M1892 Sporting Rifle configuration, not a carbine. I'm not very winchester -savy, but a book i have says the sporting rifle configuration was offered by the factory in various barrel lengths, including 24" and 26".

I haven't seen the rifle, in fact it's on the other side of the country. I am not buying, just seeing if anyone here had an idea of approximate value as a favour to a friend.
 
Looks like it may have been cold blued at some time. Your buddy should verify that first. Seriously affects the value.
 
Looks like it may have been cold blued at some time. Your buddy should verify that first. Seriously affects the value.

Could be. The blue wear is in the right places on the sharp edges and such, so it might just be in very good original condition or an older cold blue job, can't tell from these pics. The varnish on the butt is surprisingly shiney too for a 115 year old rifle.
 
Last edited:
Gentlemen - i am getting lots of PMs with questions and offers to buy this rifle. I want to stress that I do not know the seller and I have never seen the rifle. This rifle is located in NS on the other side of the country from me.

If you want to talk to the seller I can give you a name and ph# if you send me a PM. But understand that I am not a party to the sale and I am not offering any endorsement for either the rifle or the seller. Any dealings will be your responsibility alone, buyer beware, and so on.

Thanks,
Terry
 
Back
Top Bottom