1893 Lee Metford carbine restoration.

englishman_ca

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
156   0   2
Here is another one that is just about finished.


1893 LMC - 4.jpg

lmc-4%20beforenafter_zps865bzats.png


No, it is not a hybrid or sporter. It is an 1892 Pattern Trials Carbine that I have put back to factory spec.
You will notice that it has a regular rifle bolt and ten round magazine.

Working on the linseed oil finish right now, once a day for a week, once a week for a month and once a month for a year.
I made the forearm myself and I didn't have to dye the wood to match the original finish butt stock, the dry walnut is darkening nicely as it sucks up the oil.

I have had the thing for years, got it shooting in sportered wood and have used it a a deer gun for the bush here in Ontario.

Over the years I gathered up the parts I needed to restore it. The nose cap being the hardest part to find and is a take off from a Mk.I Martini Enfield cavalry carbine. So although it took me a day or so to restock it, the restoration actually took me ten years.

How do I resize photographs to make them bigger?
 

Attachments

  • 1893 LMC - 4.jpg
    1893 LMC - 4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
How do I find them? Communication. Just through networking and knowing what I am looking at and recognising what is there for what it is. Also being free with information and trying to help other collectors lets people know what I am into. I often get a 'heads up'.

I never pass up looking at a sporter or a basket case Lee Metford/Enfield, cos ya just never know!

1892 Pattern trials cavalry carbine
1893 Pattern trials cavalry carbine
1894 LMC Mk.I production cavalry carbine.

I gathered and restored these over a span of some years.

IMG_2087.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 245
Thank you for posting and keep up the great work. They look fantastic.
In the future I'll surely keep an eye out for any bits you may be able to put to use.
 
Terrific collection, whenever I handle guns from this era, I'm always surprised by how easily they shoulder and how well they fit and feel - modern stock makers could learn from these guns.
 
Back
Top Bottom