1893 Marlin with strange markings

myenfield

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I had the opportunity the other day to look at a very nice 1893 Marlin lever action in 44W (44-40). It was a full length rifle with octagonal barrel, crescent butt plate, and a tang sight. The serial number would date it at around 1900. The thing that caught my attention was a number of stamps on the butt stock and fore end. The marking was "C.M.D". It appears the marking were made with a single piece stamp, not a series of individual stamps. I mostly play with milsurp stuff and I know this marking was used on some military items but it doesn't make sense on this rifle. I was wondering about mining companies, forestry companies, prisons, etc.?

Have any of you seen anything like this or have any educated guesses about what the "C.M.D" stamp might mean? It's driving me nuts!
 
Back
Top Bottom