New to me - just getting registered as of this AM.
The wood and metal both show signs of refinishing - rust removal and reblueing. Looks like it's been dropped with the lever open from impact marks on the lever, tang and stock. Also, the forend wood doesn't match. There's no 'patina' per se, just an 80%-60% factory blue that has worn off completely in places you'd expect but also, certain parts have been reblued.
Would I depreciate this in value by fixing all the loose pins with new metal, smoothing out the dings in the metal and refinishing the receiver and lever? Or is it too late? It's a non-fancy sporting rifle in 30-40, so not spectacularly rare, but it is the oldest gun I own, so I wanted to ask advice.
It was a family heirloom of a friend who cannot own firearms anymore so I want to treat it right.
The wood and metal both show signs of refinishing - rust removal and reblueing. Looks like it's been dropped with the lever open from impact marks on the lever, tang and stock. Also, the forend wood doesn't match. There's no 'patina' per se, just an 80%-60% factory blue that has worn off completely in places you'd expect but also, certain parts have been reblued.
Would I depreciate this in value by fixing all the loose pins with new metal, smoothing out the dings in the metal and refinishing the receiver and lever? Or is it too late? It's a non-fancy sporting rifle in 30-40, so not spectacularly rare, but it is the oldest gun I own, so I wanted to ask advice.
It was a family heirloom of a friend who cannot own firearms anymore so I want to treat it right.


















































