.22 mag, .17 HMR pressures in old blackpowder?

TheCoachZed

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Would an old big bore blackpowder revolver like the 1873 French revolver, the Dutch police revolvers, or - I'm very interested to know - the Reichsrevolver - be able to handle modern smokeless .22 magnum or .17 hmr loads? I have no idea what sort of pressures are involved.
 
The french revolver would take it but I think is a bad idea. You would need to modify the firing pin and the firing pin hole in the frame. It would be better to keep it centerfire and start reloading.
 
I assume you are trying to end up with a 365 day a year NB shooter with a bore less then .224?
check the manufacturer's pressure claims if the round in question is about 10K then you might be OK. Have you considered going with a proprietary 22 CF round? Somehting handloaded on a 22 K hornet like case. The lining of the barrel and cylinder are much easier to accomplish then is the firing pin alteration. I think it is a great idea if you start with a trashed bore gun.
 
I saw a Reichsrevolver converted to .22lr on an auction site in the US. I don't have the funds for it right now so if someone else wants it, fill your boots. But it got me thinking - if it could be reamed out to .22 mag, you'd have a nice little shooter - if it was strong enough - and it would be an antique to boot.
 
Back
Top Bottom