25-20 in revolvers?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Hi All,
was just doing some idle thinking and had the thought that some pre-1898 38 cal, or possibly 32 cal revolvers could be saved by converting to another caliber... specifically the 25-20, as it was descended from the 32-20.

My thought is that a 38 would be easier to convert what with the extra space to play with in sleeving cylinders, but really I'm just kicking ideas around. Anyone given it a shot?
 
From the Criminal Code:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/st...test/rsc-1985-c-c-46.html#sec84subsec1_smooth
(3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:

(a) any antique firearm;

So since they are not firearms in relation to the relevant sections of the Criminal Code or Firearms Act, restrictions on firearms within the firearms act are not valid as they aren't firearms.
 
Is .25-20 on the list of no go cartridges for antique status?
If it is not on the list, the pistol is an antique if made prior to 1898.
 
I think .32-20 is on the prohib list even on pre-98 guns, not sure what they would think on a .25-20 conversion gun. sounds like a great idea tho, one of my favorite old cals.

I see the OAL of 25-20 is about 1.6 inches long. May have to modify the case or bullet seating on a lot of revolvers.
 
Last edited:
I think .32-20 is on the prohib list even on pre-98 guns, not sure what they would think on a .25-20 conversion gun. sounds like a great idea tho, one of my favorite old cals.

I see the OAL of 25-20 is about 1.6 inches long. May have to modify the case or bullet seating on a lot of revolvers.

I would lean towards a 'no' from the CFO. Not an experience based opinion, just that the parent ( or a sibling I suppose ) case is a prohibited one.
Based on human logic I guess.
 
From recent personal experience, the frame of a 32 cal revolver is in itself prohibited. That does not apply to 38 cal prohibs. I would have to do a bit of digging through my notes but there is a section of law stating that. My impression is that frames of handguns that were made in multiple calibers are not prohibited so that you can rebarrel a short 38 to a legal one but you cannot change a antique 32 only to something like a 22 morris (which I did) and have it become antique or even restricted. Even though I don't think the 25-20 is currently on the excluded list, I think you would be safer to convert a short barreled 38 (pre 1898) to something less likely to be challenged such as the 22 morris or maybe something like a 30 or 36 cal rook rifle cartridge

cheers mooncoon
 
Is .25-20 on the list of no go cartridges for antique status?
If it is not on the list, the pistol is an antique if made prior to 1898.

I was thinking more along the logistics of rechambering along with the finer diameter bore - there's less room for error in a small diameter bore in some ways.

I think .32-20 is on the prohib list even on pre-98 guns, not sure what they would think on a .25-20 conversion gun. sounds like a great idea tho, one of my favorite old cals.

I see the OAL of 25-20 is about 1.6 inches long. May have to modify the case or bullet seating on a lot of revolvers.

Yep - I think it'd be a rare gun that would take the modification - the 32-20 was 41mm long, and the 25-20 was 44mm, so most would need at least shorter seating. It's not really a good cross the board solution, but it would work on some. Also might work on bigger cals like 44's and 45's that're otherwise not suited to the bigger cals (worn chambers, split chambers etc).

I would lean towards a 'no' from the CFO. Not an experience based opinion, just that the parent ( or a sibling I suppose ) case is a prohibited one.
Based on human logic I guess.

They are limited to a gun capable of chambering the listed cals - I can't see how they'd wedge any of the 32 cal cartridges into it... too much neck. After that, it'd almost certainly explode if you did wedge something into it :p

The variant/parent issue is more along the line of prohib declarations on new firearms I think.

I am still not sure if doing this would cause the RCMP to disapprove of antiques more than before though... I suspect 25-20 being such a long obsolete cartridge would help them accept it.

From recent personal experience, the frame of a 32 cal revolver is in itself prohibited. That does not apply to 38 cal prohibs. I would have to do a bit of digging through my notes but there is a section of law stating that. My impression is that frames of handguns that were made in multiple calibers are not prohibited so that you can rebarrel a short 38 to a legal one but you cannot change a antique 32 only to something like a 22 morris (which I did) and have it become antique or even restricted. Even though I don't think the 25-20 is currently on the excluded list, I think you would be safer to convert a short barreled 38 (pre 1898) to something less likely to be challenged such as the 22 morris or maybe something like a 30 or 36 cal rook rifle cartridge

cheers mooncoon

Thanks Mooncoon! I knew there was something that I'd overlooked. I'd forgotten about the 32 cal frame issue.

What makes you say that 25-20 is a more challenged cartridge by the way? I ask in case I've missed something, but there's nothing in the law that says similar cartridges aren't ok (consider 45 schofield vs 45 LC) and since a 25-20 will absolutely not allow a 32 cal to chamber and especially not fire without exploding, I can't see what argument they'd have.... unless they took an incredibly dim view and wedged the shortest 32 cal cartridge they could into the chamber then refused to test fire it personally.
 
I think you could do it legally but practically is another matter.Iirc back in the 50s S&W tried chambering a revolver for a tapered 22 centre fire but the pressure forced the case backward and jammed cylinder.
 
Yet the 22 Remington Jet is a very tapered case and they don't have an issue being pushed back and out of the cylinder.

This is very true, my S&W 22 Jet has functioned without a hitch for decades and having read all the negative comment before I bought it I will admit to being very skeptical at first.
As for the 25-20 there was a gunsmith in Saskatoon building one on a Ruger Blackhawk back in the 1970s, what ever became of that I do not know as he is long passed.
 
Even if the 25-20 is not on the no go list, I think many police would just assume any 25 cal would automatically exclude the gun from antique status and you would be forced to go through hassle and perhaps expense in recovering your gun. As in many situations, you get far less problems by minimizing ambiguity with any regulations saying you cannot do something similar or possess something similar. The more obsolete and peculiar the cartridge, the less likely you are to have to go to great length to prove your gun is antique

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom