30'06 Surplus Ammo Weight?

Buzzard

Regular
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Location
Chetwynd
Hello,

Just trying to do some ballistics calculations on some surplus 30'06 ammunition I have. Does anyone know the weight of the bullets used? I had thought I read it was 150, but comparing to other 150s I have, that seems a little light. Figured someone here might have some experience,

Thanks:D
 
What do you mean when you say that compared to other 150 it seemed a bit light?
As mentioned above, WW II ammunition was normally loaded with 150 grain bullets. However, the standard velocity was much lower than current commercial ammunition. So, if you tried to compare by the feel of shooting, it is likely that the surplus felt lighter.
 
From RCOC Ammunition Bulletins dated 1972

Ball M1 174 gr bullet, 50 grains IMR 1185

Ball M2 152 gr bullet , 50 grains IMR 4895 (fps 2,800 fps)

Tracer M25 146.5 gr bullet, 50 grain IMR 4895, (fps 2,750)

Ammunition in these loads were produced from 1944 to the late '60s by CAL for the Rifle Model of 1917, M1 Garand and Browning M1919A1, all in Canadian service.

Hope this helps
 
Back
Top Bottom