I need your input here guys, and yes, I plan on eventually hand loading but for now it's not feasable.
I've got a Browning A-Bolt in 300wsm. I've only tried two types of ammo through it, Winchester's XP3 and PowerMax Bonded, both 150gr. Even though I knocked down a big buck and a big doe last fall with the XP3s, I'm not impressed with the grouping. FYI, the buck was shot at around 85 yards through the lungs came out the other side and broke it's front left leg.. bullet never recovered and a smal "toony" size exit whole. The Doe was shot at 180 yards and dropped instantly as the bullet hit the spine.
Last fall my best group might have been 3" at 100 yards (most were 4") and ironically, about the same at 200 yards.. go figure. I sighted in 1.5" high at 100 yards and my 200 yards were also 1 to 2 " high.. again go figure.
Most of my shots were done on a cold clean barrel to simulate that first hunt shot. I found the grouping to be inconsistent and not at all acceptable. I wasn't using a bench rest (I have since purchased a Caldwell Rock BR) but a few sand bags so I might have been moving a bit. Oh, I also lightened up the trigger since then too.
The PowerMax bonded seemed to group better at 100 yards let say closer to 2.25" for the best group.
I figure my gun doesn't like these to types of rounds. So I'm looking for suggestions. I really like the review of the Federal Vital Shok with the Barnes Triple X but they seem to be hard to find and really expensive.
I'm looking for an accurate and functional round for deer. The typical range to see and hunt deer in my spots are anywhere from 25 to 350 yards, with most shots between 80 and 175 yards.
What do you guys suggest (other than hand loading... I know.)?
Also, when I was at Bass Pro today and I told him about this issue, he mentioned something about the XP3's nickel casings and how they can flake and screw up your bore... I wasn't aware of this but apparently there are many people discussing this on forums like these. I will research this because he said it could cause irratic groupings.
Any thoughs?
Thanks,
I've got a Browning A-Bolt in 300wsm. I've only tried two types of ammo through it, Winchester's XP3 and PowerMax Bonded, both 150gr. Even though I knocked down a big buck and a big doe last fall with the XP3s, I'm not impressed with the grouping. FYI, the buck was shot at around 85 yards through the lungs came out the other side and broke it's front left leg.. bullet never recovered and a smal "toony" size exit whole. The Doe was shot at 180 yards and dropped instantly as the bullet hit the spine.
Last fall my best group might have been 3" at 100 yards (most were 4") and ironically, about the same at 200 yards.. go figure. I sighted in 1.5" high at 100 yards and my 200 yards were also 1 to 2 " high.. again go figure.
Most of my shots were done on a cold clean barrel to simulate that first hunt shot. I found the grouping to be inconsistent and not at all acceptable. I wasn't using a bench rest (I have since purchased a Caldwell Rock BR) but a few sand bags so I might have been moving a bit. Oh, I also lightened up the trigger since then too.
The PowerMax bonded seemed to group better at 100 yards let say closer to 2.25" for the best group.
I figure my gun doesn't like these to types of rounds. So I'm looking for suggestions. I really like the review of the Federal Vital Shok with the Barnes Triple X but they seem to be hard to find and really expensive.
I'm looking for an accurate and functional round for deer. The typical range to see and hunt deer in my spots are anywhere from 25 to 350 yards, with most shots between 80 and 175 yards.
What do you guys suggest (other than hand loading... I know.)?
Also, when I was at Bass Pro today and I told him about this issue, he mentioned something about the XP3's nickel casings and how they can flake and screw up your bore... I wasn't aware of this but apparently there are many people discussing this on forums like these. I will research this because he said it could cause irratic groupings.
Any thoughs?
Thanks,


















































