.308 surplus

cote_b

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
Location
Ontario
Just picked up a nice Israeli K98. Im looking at buying a large quantity of .308 ammo, probably surplus. Which .308 surplus is corrosive and which isnt? I know there isnt much out there right now, the odd bit of South African or Czech. How about Norinco .308? Probably not corrosive I'm betting. MFS is also non-corrosive I believe.

Anyone have any experience MFS or Norinco .308 and any of this .308 surplus? from various countries?

Thanks
 
Thanks for the info guys! Id rather go with some non-corrosive stuff like Norinco or MFS. Czech looks like a good deal though. How about South African? Is that stuff corrosive and or available/good?
 
I use MFS quite a bit. I bought a case last year. Workin good, my only peeve is the red residue from the primers, turns my white grease to pink.
I got a case of the Norc copper washed with my shorty but it short strokes half the time.
All non-corrosive. I'm too lazy to clean as soon as I get back.
 
Norc 7.62x51mm is the best deal going for accurate non-corrosive surplus. Stay away from Czech stuff if you don't like corrosive surplus. If it doesn't say non-corrosive, I would assume it is, especially if it's cheap. I found MFS to be inconsistent. Some shots recoil harder than others and it actually has some muzzle flash. Other locals agree that it's not very accurate either. Some also commented that MFS is dirtier to shoot too. I didn't notice that, but only put a box down range to try it out.
 
^^^The brass cased norinco surplus (CanAm) has been a pleasant surprise for me. The only irritant is removing it from the MG links, and what I think might be traces of cosmoline on the rounds.
 
Last edited:
South African hasn't been availabe for a few years now. It is no longer sold on the surplus market (as I recall), they burn it instead...........
 
Back
Top Bottom