36 Cal Navy Revolver Powder Charge

maliboy67

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I decided to take the plunge and just bought a used Navy Arms Griswold & Gunnison Navy revolver. I will be shooting BP and would like to know what powder charge I should use. Any suggestions, should I be more conservative with it having a brass frame?

Thanks
 
In Sam Fadala's book, Black Powder Loading Manual, he tests a .36 cal Navy Arms Colt Pocket Police revolver. He uses from 10 to 23 grs of FFFg. He says accuracy was best with 15 grs FFFg.

He also used from 10 to 24 grs Pyrodex P.
 
If you are using Goex FFFG a good (recommended ) charge is 18 grains,minimum 15 grains and maximum 20 grains. If you are using Triple Seven the numbers are 13-15-17.
With 18 grains there will be excess room left in the chamber which should be filled with corn meal or similar leaving enough room to seat the ball flush with the cylinder face. Make sure that there is no air space between the powder and the ball,that is what the corn meal will take care of and allow the ball to be flush with the cylinder.
I have a brass frame 1851 and it will take 18-20 grains all day long,it was made in 1971 and is still in great shape.
RangeAug292011003crop.jpg
 
Thanks for the info. I guess I shouldn't automatically believe that my brass framed revolver will shoot itself apart because I read it somewhere on the Internet;)
 
Back
Top Bottom