billbmcleod
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Back very close to Bruce County
So the deer season is a week away and I thought that I would use my old (early 1900's) 94 in 38-55. It was my grandfathers gun.
Then I had this brain f**t that I should do it with black and cast lead. I have shot these bullets using smokeless and they are not bad.
I have spent a couple of days reading this forum and from what I have read I should load 55gr by volume or such that there is a slight compression of the powder with the bullet seating. I only plan on loading six to see where it shoots @ 50 yds and six to hunt with.
I don't really want to try to find a load that works at any greater distance as where I hunt you are lucky to be able to see 50 yds. I also realize that I will probably have to tear the gun right down in order to clean all the residue out. Tearing it down is no big thing but the more you do it the greater the chance of some part going missing.
So I would only probably try hunting with this setup once and would have a backup gun with me in case it was needed.
Should I try it or play it safe and just dream about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated with no liability.
Then I had this brain f**t that I should do it with black and cast lead. I have shot these bullets using smokeless and they are not bad.
I have spent a couple of days reading this forum and from what I have read I should load 55gr by volume or such that there is a slight compression of the powder with the bullet seating. I only plan on loading six to see where it shoots @ 50 yds and six to hunt with.
I don't really want to try to find a load that works at any greater distance as where I hunt you are lucky to be able to see 50 yds. I also realize that I will probably have to tear the gun right down in order to clean all the residue out. Tearing it down is no big thing but the more you do it the greater the chance of some part going missing.
So I would only probably try hunting with this setup once and would have a backup gun with me in case it was needed.
Should I try it or play it safe and just dream about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated with no liability.


















































