390 yard moose kill

<snip>
Further, I light the powder with small rifle primers to eliminate the flyers caused by shotgun primers unseating the bullet before complete ignition. I will say a 390 shot would be a stretch and as stated all the stars would be in line and and angel on your shoulder
<snip>

Im interested in how your replaced a shotgun primer with an OD of 0.241" with a small rifle primer of 0.175" OD measurements. I'm assuming you have pressed the rifle primer into a custom machined sleeve? Do you dispose of them afterwards or is that setup reusable?
 
My shooting partner and I were working up a load for a Parker Hale Whitworth ,he was shooting 90-100 gr 2f goex The bullet weight was around 480gr paper patched.
loading was done with out a scale for seating pressure on top of the powder card,wad,bullet combo .
longrange vernier rear sight with globe front with spirit level.

He was hitting a 12" bull at 500 yds.....the group was all over the place but in the 12"

It can be done with lots of shooting time and a spotter with a scope

That's exactly what I do at Bisley and Barton Road ranges, except that my swaged bullets come from the Polisar Bros in Garden Grove CA and now weigh just 500gr - unpatched. Everything else is the same, including the use of a set of bathroom scales to set the bullet down the same each time.

However, the percentage of mine in the 12" centre is less than that of your pal's, maybe because I'm using the basic sights rather than a tang-mounted vernier, but you'd still have to be crazy to stand there.

tac
 
I've taken two large moose with my Browning '86 rifle. Load was 36 grs Varget and my 420 gr Lyman 457193. That is a BP equivalent load safe to shoot in a Trapdoor. Both were heart shots, one dropping in it's tracks, t'other (largest) going 50 yards before piling up.

But - they were shot under 75 yds.

Anybody that doesn't think a 1200 fps 450 gr bullet isn't going to kill a moose with a boiler room shot at that distance hasn't had enough experience with big slow slugs to judge that kill.
 
Im interested in how your replaced a shotgun primer with an OD of 0.241" with a small rifle primer of 0.175" OD measurements. I'm assuming you have pressed the rifle primer into a custom machined sleeve? Do you dispose of them afterwards or is that setup reusable?

Precision made them a few years back and yes they are a hard brass insert that fits a small rifle primer and they are reusable, I use the parts from a LEE loadall for depriming and reseating. They came with a plastic affair but the LEE bits work better. They have since stopped production of these and I have been using the same dozen for a few years now. They have a different setup that requires you to purchase or send a TC breech plug to them and they provide the plug and a bunch of inserts that fit large rifle primers to light Blackhorn consistently in the cold. I have talked with them and they say there is better performance with large rifle primers all round just like the smalls. You will be amazed at how much different the gun will shoot using rifle primers. I will eventually be doing the switch but for now it ain't broke and I can say the TC Encore I have is the best shooting gun I own.
 
Precision Rifle made them for a few years for the encore ,H&R, and the Knight ML they used the 25 acp with the small rifle primer system .Most 209 shot shell primer systems have way too much ignition for the powder to light off and with the shot shell primer going off it pushes the bullet ?sabot off the powder charge before it ignites. I have had them in a Omega and a H&R but the trick is to use loose powder ,not the pills of 777 .

I would use a 240gr sabot ultimate from Precision Rifle over 100gr loose 3fg 777 with the 25 acp system. Great load in the omega and deadly in the H&R sidekick
Back to shooting a moose at long range with a muzzleloader, If I can see and hit steel rams at 500 yds with a long range tang sight and globe front, and I have found the load that works for my rifle , I will be taking the shot . Moose are about the size of three rams on the rail at 500 yds

Get out and practice with that rifle,shoot in all conditions, sun, cloud,rain and know your load and your personal limits.
 
The ones I use are the small rifle to shotgun primer, a bushing basically, and they fit in a stock nipple and I do agree on the loose powder working better.
 
Precision Rifle made them for a few years for the encore ,H&R, and the Knight ML they used the 25 acp with the small rifle primer system .Most 209 shot shell primer systems have way too much ignition for the powder to light off and with the shot shell primer going off it pushes the bullet ?sabot off the powder charge before it ignites. I have had them in a Omega and a H&R but the trick is to use loose powder ,not the pills of 777 .

I would use a 240gr sabot ultimate from Precision Rifle over 100gr loose 3fg 777 with the 25 acp system. Great load in the omega and deadly in the H&R sidekick
Back to shooting a moose at long range with a muzzleloader, If I can see and hit steel rams at 500 yds with a long range tang sight and globe front, and I have found the load that works for my rifle , I will be taking the shot . Moose are about the size of three rams on the rail at 500 yds

Get out and practice with that rifle,shoot in all conditions, sun, cloud,rain and know your load and your personal limits.

what would be a good powder&bullet? I have Pyrodex FFG with Hornady lowdrag but I'm willing to try more...
 
rate of twist plays a big factor with down range performance, the buckstalker with a 24" barrel with a 1/28 twist should handle a bullet sabot combo in the 225-240gr size.
I have used 2fg pyrodex with poor results.I would suggest 3fg triple 7 and start with a charge of 80gr the 3fg triple 7 burns cleaner and the first shot will be your fouling shot.
Do all adjustments after the first shot and load the rifle the same way every time.Take 3 shots with the 80 gr load if you do not like the group adjust powder charge.
The more you shoot the rifle the better you will be.
 
Back
Top Bottom