44 Russian Fiochhi in the Antique handguns

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
OK i took the 44 russian fiochhi factory ammo to the range today for tests with a soilid frame Antique Bisley in 44 sp and a S&W DA in 44 Russian.
I Ran the ammo thru the bisley frist it has a 4 and 3/4 barrel with orignal .427 .428 bore dia. the Chronograph was being a pain in the #### it kept getting error from the muzzel blast but did get two readings one was 727 FPS the other 697 FPS so it was lower than the 820 listed on the web site.
The Bisley shoots like a dream with both the 44 Sp factory ammo them the fiochhi 44Russian ammo and both groups under 3 inchs right above the bullseye at 20 yds or so. I forgot my glasses today to.
Anyway then i tryed the 44 russian in my S&W DA which like most has some latch play when the barrels shut i put two cylinders full with no ill effects and the latch play was the same as best i can tell.
I would like someone else with a higher end chrograph to test it as well.
Mine is just the cheep green ones so im not sure it was 100% right but really the ammo tho it kicks abit it does not feel like a hot load to me.
Hope this can help some decide if they want to use it in what.
Im mainly useing it in my solid frame guns tho for bush packing if i had a S&W DA id use it for bush packing.
Thats me mind you you have to decide for yourself if you want to try it.
Im gona see about buying a better chronograph down the road as i put alot of rounds thru it with the error comeing up, stupid chronograph!
 
Last edited:
I too shot the Fiocchi 44 Russian in one of my S&W. I was wondering if the OP knows the hardness and consistency of the bullets which is essential for shooting antique guns? To me it is basically just a laymans test and the OP even admits that his chrono isn't working properly. Be aware.7

I hope jethunter will step up and cast bullets for the 44 S&W and other antiques soon, his bullets for the Webley are amazing and just what we antique guys need, thank you.
 
I too shot the Fiocchi 44 Russian in one of my S&W. I was wondering if the OP knows the hardness and consistency of the bullets which is essential for shooting antique guns? To me it is basically just a laymans test and the OP even admits that his chrono isn't working properly. Be aware.7

I hope jethunter will step up and cast bullets for the 44 S&W and other antiques soon, his bullets for the Webley are amazing and just what we antique guys need, thank you.
+1 yep, I need .44 russian bullets,,lots of them!
 
Where did you find Black Hills cowboy rounds? I put out a couple of queries and have gotten no replies at all. I get Fiocchi .44 Russian from Canada Ammo.
Sorry, I forgot where I got them, so had to look a bit,, Prophet river has the blackhills ammo!$50. for 50 a bit dear but at least you can use the brass for reloading!
Just got more info on these- 650fps advertised as I said before the guy at black hills said the max pressure they ever have seen was 11500psi.
 
Last edited:
I too shot the Fiocchi 44 Russian in one of my S&W. I was wondering if the OP knows the hardness and consistency of the bullets which is essential for shooting antique guns? To me it is basically just a laymans test and the OP even admits that his chrono isn't working properly. Be aware.7

I hope jethunter will step up and cast bullets for the 44 S&W and other antiques soon, his bullets for the Webley are amazing and just what we antique guys need, thank you.

There softer than the Bullet barns 44 Russian bullet ammo you can mark the fiochhi with your thumb nail so the hardness is not and issiue.
Sounds like enough guys have shot it in S&W DAs with no problems i think my chrono readings were accurate i just didnt get enough of them.
Hopefully im not the only one on CGN with a chrongraph so someone else can test them more.
 
I hope jethunter will step up and cast bullets for the 44 S&W and other antiques soon, his bullets for the Webley are amazing and just what we antique guys need, thank you.

I'm getting set up for this for my own reloading. I've sourced about 100 lbs of very soft lead (plumbing and roof flashing stuff). Just need the time to flux it and pour it into smaller ingots. I have the Lee 200 and 214 gr molds. If it works well I could always put some on the EE.
 
I hope jethunter will step up and cast bullets for the 44 S&W and other antiques soon, his bullets for the Webley are amazing and just what we antique guys need, thank you.

I do make some 44 bullets already, but i have a new custom mould ordered especially for .44 russian. It's a 215 gr RNFP, kind of a "cowboy style".

I did try the Fiocchi 44 Russian ammo and I was quite impressed with it. Like Dingus said, Fiocchi is using a soft lead bullet in this cartridge and that's very good. Fiocchi's bullet in this load is a little heavier than I'd like but if i didn't reload i'd be using it, no problem. It functioned well and seemed accurate. POI was about 6 inches high at 15 yds but that's a common experience with most antique handguns.
 
Last edited:
Thanks bobdbldr;

I called Prophet River and picked up 200 rounds of Black Hills .44 Russian. Anxious to compare them to Fiocchi.
Took 2 of my S&W russians out today, what a blast, the black hills worked great mild and seemed to be easy on the gun. had some greenish corn meal type stuff on some parts, must have been from the powder, cleaned up easy!
 
[youtube]W7z0Qjf2jGw[/youtube]

Shooting my 44 S&W Russian with 4.4 grains of Unique at 45 feet. I am a bad shooter but all the holes were within 3 inches.
 
Back
Top Bottom