.44 Spl. vers .44 mag

Captain Ron

Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   1
Location
Victoria BV
I am gearing up to get back into cowboy shooting, I have an antique Colt .44 Spl. and want to pair it up with a rifle that will shoot the same ammo. Should I be looking at a modern Winchester or Marlin in .44 mag and just use the shorter .44 Spl.? or should I look for an original .44 Spl? are there any around? I am not even sure that they were made in .44 Spl. I would really rather have an original in good shooting condition. Any suggestions?
 
Just how much money are you willing to spend?You will need 2 pistolas in your favorite cambering plus a lever action in the same .That is if you want to keep your ammo the same and uncomplicated.Factor in a nice shotgun and the skies the limit.I've seen people do this for a couple of thousand and I've seen people do this for a considerable amount more.So are you feeling lucky?I omitted the last part just because I ain't dissing you and Dirty Harry ain't a cowboy.Of course if you like spaghetti he is.
 
I am gearing up to get back into cowboy shooting, I have an antique Colt .44 Spl. and want to pair it up with a rifle that will shoot the same ammo. Should I be looking at a modern Winchester or Marlin in .44 mag and just use the shorter .44 Spl.? or should I look for an original .44 Spl? are there any around? I am not even sure that they were made in .44 Spl. I would really rather have an original in good shooting condition. Any suggestions?

Ron, I am also thinking about getting into CAS. I have a set of (new) Colt SAA .44 special that I might use and will probably get a 1873 .44 by Cimarron or ???? (or I will go in .45 or .38)
While I own many old Winchesters, I was advised by a few members not to use antique rifles and Colts...only because they will could damaged quite rapidly with the intensive shooting. Maybe opinions will go differently if you shoot BP! Anyway you could shoot with new firearms and once in a while bring your antiques and make a smoke show! For antiques and BP questions you've got the right place but if you want answers about CAS you should post in the "Action Shooting Games" subforum.

OK:)
 
Back
Top Bottom