45-70 Trapdoor carbine

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Location
southern ontario
Anybody out there sell any 405gr. hollow based bullets for the Springfield carbine. Everything i have or seen are all flat base. All i have shot up to date powder wise is IMR 4759. I have 2 trapdoors rifle and a carbine and eventually will be trying black powder.
 
Try Ben Hunchak. He is a frequent contributor here so just PM him. He runs a cast bullet business and has high quality stuff. I also shoot SR4759 and find it excellent for these big cases. I use BP in most everything and the SR4759 in my duplex loads. Dave
 
Check out, " Wolf's Western Traders ". Their web site is, " www.the45-70book.com ".
Tey sell a very good book on the Springfield rifle and carbine ammunition. They sell a set of Lee dies as well. I have used a Lee hollow base 405gr. mold, catalogue number 90268.
( 459-405-HB )
 
"...and a carbine..." When you get to BP, the carbine load is 55 grains, not 70. Trust me. A 70 grain load hurts. Mind you, neither used an HB bullet.
 
Actually, the Lyman 457193 mold throws a perfect solid base bullet for the 45-70. Depending on alloy it will range from 390 to 420 grains. It is a flat base, that comes out of my mold at 0.461"...an easy resize to 0.459.
I have used this bullet in a variety of trapdoor Springfield rifles and carbines with black powder. It has always been a stellar performer and has taken it's share of shooting competition awards. If I recall, my 1880 circa carbine would consistently group under 1.25" at 50 yards with 5 shots, at 100 it would hold a solid 3" group...the rifles performed better.
The trick with using a solid base bullet is to load an Ox-Yoke(or equivalent) wonder wad between powder and bullet. You may find the hollow base will require a slightly reduce powder charge in order to perform consistently.
Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom