45-70

You can get good results with 1.5, FFg, and FFFg. I rarely use plain Goex, but the Goex Express line works well in the FFg and FFFg granulations (discontinued but maybe you can still find some).

Olde Eynsford 1.5 works quite well in a few of my cartridge guns, but OE FFg might be better if using a non tapered bullet. You certainly won't go wrong with Swiss 1.5 if you can get it.

Chris.
 
I load a Duplex Load of ;
First ,,,,,,,,, 8 gr. of SR4759
Second ,,,,,, I dump , through a copper drop tube , 54 gr. FF Black ,,,,,,,,, then add if necessary
enough FF so that the load is slightly compressed.

My compression goes like this : I measure how far the lead will enter into the brass. I put the FF
about 1/16 above that. I shoot this in a Browning BPCR . Copy of a Winchester 1885.

I have an excellent load with SR4759, 29gr of powder and a 535gr cast bullet , but last year i bought a 58 cal Parker Hale and a Snider for which i shoot BP, so i figured i would give the 45-70 a go with BP.
 
What lube are you using to get those results? Are you blow tubing between shots?
Just using my own home made lube 50-50% bee's wax and Crisco. There may not be any science behind it but I find that the less impurities in the wax the better the lube is. If you choose to make your own lube use the double pan method (one pan in another of water) Basically no direct heat sources or else you will scorch the lube and it's ruined. Yes I also blow down the barrel between every 2-3 shots.

P.S. I also forgot to mention that I use Federal #215 Magnum primers
 
Gentleman, I'm thinking on loading some 45-70 cartridges with BP, what do you recommend, FFG or FFFG?
Victor.

Welcome to the world of the Holy Black.

Throw what you know about smokeless cartridges out the window and be ready to learn to start over.

For 45-70 use Goex FFG or Swiss 1.5 if you can find it.

Go to BPCR.net forum and the Castboolits forum. Wealth of information, knowledge and people - everything you need to know is there.

Everything you need to know and more to get started is here on their tech page info http://www.bpcr.net/.../documents/Technical_Information.htm

Scroll down and read the listing of all the documents on the page related to Black Powder Cartridge reloading rifles and shooting etc. You can download the pdf docs for future reference. Good luck and have fun

www.BPCR.net - Black Powder Cartridge Rifle

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
 
Just using my own home made lube 50-50% bee's wax and Crisco. There may not be any science behind it but I find that the less impurities in the wax the better the lube is. If you choose to make your own lube use the double pan method (one pan in another of water) Basically no direct heat sources or else you will scorch the lube and it's ruined. Yes I also blow down the barrel between every 2-3 shots.

P.S. I also forgot to mention that I use Federal #215 Magnum primers

I use a mix of pure beeswax and Neat's Foot Oil - 75/25. In the temperate climate here in yUK that seems to work all the year round. I also found a brass tube in a local hobby store [KS Metals] that is a very close fit over the bullet. I use it to push down over the bullet when the lube has hardened - about 14" long, and it just pops them out of the top as they build up inside, and it leaves them perfectly lubed from top to bottom. As cast from my 450gr Lee mould, they are a perfect fit for my rifle.

tac
 
I use a mix of pure beeswax and Neat's Foot Oil - 75/25. In the temperate climate here in yUK that seems to work all the year round. I also found a brass tube in a local hobby store [KS Metals] that is a very close fit over the bullet. I use it to push down over the bullet when the lube has hardened - about 14" long, and it just pops them out of the top as they build up inside, and it leaves them perfectly lubed from top to bottom. As cast from my 450gr Lee mould, they are a perfect fit for my rifle.

tac

Hey Tak, just watched the news coverage on some major flooding in your neck of the woods...keep yer powder dry...
 
I use a mix of pure beeswax and Neat's Foot Oil - 75/25. In the temperate climate here in yUK that seems to work all the year round. I also found a brass tube in a local hobby store [KS Metals] that is a very close fit over the bullet. I use it to push down over the bullet when the lube has hardened - about 14" long, and it just pops them out of the top as they build up inside, and it leaves them perfectly lubed from top to bottom. As cast from my 450gr Lee mould, they are a perfect fit for my rifle.

tac

Thank you Tac,
I'm going to have to try that mix. Is it fairly pliable lube once it has cooled? Is it fairly close to SPG?
I to like to pan lube but I must find a brass tube like yours. I have been pulling them out of the pan one at a time and that can get tedious very quickly.
 
Back
Top Bottom