.457 Round Ball for revolver?

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I just shot and then bought my friends CVA 1858 New Model Army. Beautiful steel framed with target rear sights. This isn't my 1st go around with these revolvers but all the others shaved a ring of lead with a .454 RB but not this one. Have any others used a .457 ball on these or other revolvers? The .454 balls are a pleasure to load I have to admit. I know Lee has the .457 mold. Thanks.
 
Check the openings in the chambers. Are they slightly flared? If so it'll just swage the lead into the chamber instead of cutting a ring. Trust the pressure needed to seat the balls. If they are flared then you need to go by feel for the proper size. If it feels like the proper sort of pressure on the ram needed to seat the ball then it's fine regardless of ring or no ring.

My older Uberti 1860 clones seem to prefer .454. My newer set of Uberti 58's like the .457 size. As a result I've got both sizes of molds.
 
Check the openings in the chambers. Are they slightly flared? If so it'll just swage the lead into the chamber instead of cutting a ring. Trust the pressure needed to seat the balls. If they are flared then you need to go by feel for the proper size. If it feels like the proper sort of pressure on the ram needed to seat the ball then it's fine regardless of ring or no ring.

My older Uberti 1860 clones seem to prefer .454. My newer set of Uberti 58's like the .457 size. As a result I've got both sizes of molds.

I'll do that. It does take some pressure to seat the ball, my Pietta Navy was quite hard with a .454 to a point where I had to wear a glove. I think the Rem will be ok. I use a wad over powder in any case. Thanks very much.
 
Back
Top Bottom