45cal 13/16 Pedersoli loads for maxi's

petew

Regular
Rating - 97.4%
38   1   0
Location
Alberta
I picked up an older model Pedersoli 45 cal that was made for Navy Arms in 1975. It looks identical to their Kentucky model today, but has the name Canadien Voyageur stamped on the barrel. It is a 13/16 barrel percussion in very good shape. Can anyone comment on a powder charge 3FG with a 220-250 maxi in these barrels.
Pedersoli lists only a round ball charge in their current load tables, of 90 gr 3F as Max.
Would 70 gr of 3F and a 220 to 250 conical be unreasonable for this 45 cal 13/16 barrel.?
Pete
 
If you have enough Maxi's, I recommend you ladder test, starting at about 45 grains of powder. The gun will show you where it's sweet spot is.

The 90 grain load listed is for a much lighter projectile, so I would be hesitant to go that high. If it was me testing your rifle, I would probably stop at around 70 grains with the Maxi load.
 
Have a look at the Goex website, they have a good chart to get you started.
http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Conical.pdf

Cheers nessy.
 
Back
Top Bottom