50-70 and Varget

meo1981

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Anyone try Varget for the 50-70? I've had great success with it in the 45-70 and it's magic in the 45-90 but now I've got a new toy (I'm a heretic and only use BP in flintlocks) and I'm looking for anyone that's tried it.

I have a bunch of powders with published 50-70 load data but thought to ask the collective wisdom of our BP forum regarding Varget specifically.

If you have a smokeless load you like for the 50-70 I'm all ears, never too much info on a subject imo. Any sources of cast bullets @ .512-513 would be greatly appreciated as well. I'll be supporting Jet once his fantastic looking design is in production but it'll be a while yet it looks like.

Thanks

Mike
 
I've used Varget in my 45-70s with success - 36 grs with either 350 or 420 gr bullets. Generally, a safe smokeless load for the 45-70 works as well with the 50-70.

In my 50-70s I use 28 grs of 5744 with 350 and 450 gr bullets. You get some unburned grs of powder - big deal. Shoots into the same groups as BP with the same sight settings.
 
Thanks for the replies guys, some of that I didn't have in any of my (several) loading data books. As always the CGN community is just an all around awesome pool of knowledge...and intense bickering...but mostly knowledge.


Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom