.50 Caliber patches in .45 Cal BP Flint

Blackpowderbob

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, first time poster here. I'm going to start shooting my Armi Sport .45 Cal BP Kentucky Flint Lock, and was wondering if people have experience using .50 cal patches in .45 cal, and if it makes any difference. Should I cut down the patches? Thanks for your time!
 
if your picky set the ball in the end of the barral so its pressed in flush with the end of the muzzle and trim off the excess material with your knife...... I've been shooting a brownbess for years as my everyday gun and thats all I do works great, I keep my patchs in a long roll the right width and about 3 feet long soaked in tallow and beeswax, always use a dry grease(like tallow and beeswax) ..not anything that'll gum up and blow out your touchhole after a bit like crisco and s#%t like that it'll gum up the pan.
 
I don't think it'll be a problem. I spit patch and just cut off of a strip for my smoothbore. When I do use pre cut patches I use the same ones for .50 and .45. I'm pretty sure that some storebought pre cut patches are sized for multiple sizes, like .45-.50, or .58-.60.
 
Thanks for the quick responses! I'm thinking I'll try these,

[ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/hunting/black-powder/cleaning-lube/wonderlube-1000-plus-shooting-patches/prod185214.html[/url]

I'm curious to see how much cleaner it'll make things. Tula: I'd heard people used Crisco in the 70's, when BP shooting was getting popular, but there were not as many companies producing alternative products. I imagine it was a mess.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious to see how much cleaner it'll make things. Tula: I'd heard people used Crisco in the 70's, when BP shooting was getting popular, but there were not as many companies producing alternative products. I imagine it was a mess.

If you are target shooting, use a water soluable oil mix and you can shoot all day without cleaning. I use around 15% - 20% water soluable cutting oil plus a few ounces of isopropyl alcohol to keep the oil from going mouldy in the bottle. For hunting you want a greasy or oily patch that does not dry out.
You can buy your patches from Fanny's Fabrics or similar using a micrometer and buying pure cotton. For cleaning patches buy diaper material.

cheers mooncoon
 
when I use the tallow and beeswax I usely heat it up to melt it and drop my patching in and let it soak it up, I find I dont have to hardly run a cleaning patch through her all day ...the reason I like tallow is it wont soak into the powder and foul it up on long hunts thats why I refer to it as some what a dry grease.
 
dry versus wet

when I use the tallow and beeswax I usely heat it up to melt it and drop my patching in and let it soak it up, I find I dont have to hardly run a cleaning patch through her all day ...the reason I like tallow is it wont soak into the powder and foul it up on long hunts thats why I refer to it as some what a dry grease.

You should note that the Brown Bess Tula is shooting is a smoothbore and thus much less of a problem than with a rifle. If you are hunting a greased patch is better but for target shooting a wet patch is much better. I remember the first trail walk I did. i was using wonder lube and it was a wonder that I could get the ball down the barrel....

Cheers. Steve.
 
Save $$ by buying denim in bulk at a fabric shop: either 6, 8 or 10 oz should work well so try a bit of each. Cut it into 1 1/2" wide strips. Use water based lubes and avoid any commercial lubes with petroleum base as they can cause grass fires in dry weather. Any of the "Moose Milk" receipes work well for target shooting and will do for hunting as long as you add alcohol or antifreeze to the mix in cold weather. Your lube should not be too slippery for best accuracy. Meanwhile, your 50 cal patches will be fine in a 45 cal gun. Good luck.
 
If you are target shooting, use a water soluable oil mix and you can shoot all day without cleaning. I use around 15% - 20% water soluable cutting oil plus a few ounces of isopropyl alcohol to keep the oil from going mouldy in the bottle. For hunting you want a greasy or oily patch that does not dry out.
You can buy your patches from Fanny's Fabrics or similar using a micrometer and buying pure cotton. For cleaning patches buy diaper material.

cheers mooncoon

i use something similar 3 equal parts 1 water 1methol hydrate 1polmolive dish soap ...works awsome real slippery and clean shootin .:)
 
Back
Top Bottom