.577 Snider and .577-450 Martini Henry

Taffer

Regular
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Ontario
Hey folks,

Just wanted to confirm something lest I make a mistake.

Reloading one's own ammunition for .577 snider and .577/450 martini-henry does not require a license, correct?
Nor does possessing the antiques to which those ammunitions are particular?

According to my interpretation of the RCMP website I should be OK if I want to do so, however I just want to ask the community in case I have missed something.
 
Hope you are shooting the correct diameter bullets in the Snider. The Snider that has a .577" calibre bore has yet to be made. Take a look at Rob's fantastically useful articles on britishmuzzleloaders on Youtube - and also X-Ring Services in Spokane WA. If you call Martyn up, you'll find that a more helpful fellow is hard to find.
 
Hope you are shooting the correct diameter bullets in the Snider. The Snider that has a .577" calibre bore has yet to be made. Take a look at Rob's fantastically useful articles on britishmuzzleloaders on Youtube - and also X-Ring Services in Spokane WA. If you call Martyn up, you'll find that a more helpful fellow is hard to find.

Also remember that the 450 in 577-450 refers to the bore diameter not the groove diameter. The correct bullet is up around .465 or more

cheers mooncoon
 
I believe LEE makes a .459" hollowbase mould in the right weight range.

Should be good for the MH.

I have one on order. It's either kill off the Rexes in the back yard or mow the lawn again!
 
I have been ok using 400-405grn .458 cast bullets in my Mk4 Martini Henerys

its not ideal but is has been working.

I have yet to slug my MkI MH to see if I will need to look at different bullets for that one.


but yes bores are .461"-.468" on average.
 
Hope you are shooting the correct diameter bullets in the Snider. The Snider that has a .577" calibre bore has yet to be made. Take a look at Rob's fantastically useful articles on britishmuzzleloaders on Youtube - and also X-Ring Services in Spokane WA. If you call Martyn up, you'll find that a more helpful fellow is hard to find.

I use both .590 and .60 solids as well as more historically accurate .575 Lee minie type bullets in my Sniders. With care the minie loads can shoot almost as good as the solids and have the advantage of being usable in most rifles and of being mechanically strong cartridges with bullets firmly held in place. I also find they don't need any lube beyond the wax in the grooves whereas the crack shots with the solids generally use (and need) a blob of soft lube on the nose in addition to that in the grooves. Also, the .60's are often just thumbed into the case and can move around. All great fun to shoot in any case.

milsurpo
 
I have been ok using 400-405grn .458 cast bullets in my Mk4 Martini Henerys

its not ideal but is has been working.

I have yet to slug my MkI MH to see if I will need to look at different bullets for that one.


but yes bores are .461"-.468" on average.

I have a 468 as well as a 590 (mold) Phil. You can cast some up if you want to borrow it and try them out.
 
I have been ok using 400-405grn .458 cast bullets in my Mk4 Martini Henerys

its not ideal but is has been working.

I have yet to slug my MkI MH to see if I will need to look at different bullets for that one.


but yes bores are .461"-.468" on average.

If I were looking at loading for something like this it would probably be the one thing that dragged me into paper patching.
There are just so many good bullet molds in .457 and you can fairly easily adjust the diameter to whatever size works best.
 
Back
Top Bottom