Hello all
If your anything like me and fairly new to the whole surplus ammo game you might be wondering what to expect when you get your first (or second crate).
You may get home from the store, call your strongest friend and get the crow bar and vice grips after reading through the "how to open your crate" sticky only to be greeted by tar covered paper instead of a sardine can. You might be wondering how you can get 1120 rounds or 1200 when the picture of the crate on the web site looks the same.
So, I thought it would be interesting to start a general info thread showing what I've found and hopefully other, more experienced shooters can chime in as well.
The first crate I bought was 1200 rounds of Czech (I think). Came in this very handsome green crate.
Open it up and underneath some tar covered paper is 4 plastic covered bricks. Each one is full of plastic sealed green cardboard sleeves, each containing 1, 10 round stripper clip.
When I went back to the store half way through my first crate to buy more I was greeted by something new. A wide, flat 1400 crate. (Dont know what country).
*warning* small animals will come to investigate crate openings
Anyways, in side of the 1400 round crate is 2 big, green, metal, sealed tins with a can opener.
Inside the tins are small, square, cardboard boxes with I assume 25 rounds (didn't empty them out). NOT on stripper clips.
Well, that's everything I learned this evening. I hope other shooters will share there experiences with surplus and maybe turn this in to a half decent FAQ for new collectors.
Hope you enjoy!!
If your anything like me and fairly new to the whole surplus ammo game you might be wondering what to expect when you get your first (or second crate).
You may get home from the store, call your strongest friend and get the crow bar and vice grips after reading through the "how to open your crate" sticky only to be greeted by tar covered paper instead of a sardine can. You might be wondering how you can get 1120 rounds or 1200 when the picture of the crate on the web site looks the same.
So, I thought it would be interesting to start a general info thread showing what I've found and hopefully other, more experienced shooters can chime in as well.
The first crate I bought was 1200 rounds of Czech (I think). Came in this very handsome green crate.
Open it up and underneath some tar covered paper is 4 plastic covered bricks. Each one is full of plastic sealed green cardboard sleeves, each containing 1, 10 round stripper clip.
When I went back to the store half way through my first crate to buy more I was greeted by something new. A wide, flat 1400 crate. (Dont know what country).
*warning* small animals will come to investigate crate openings
Anyways, in side of the 1400 round crate is 2 big, green, metal, sealed tins with a can opener.
Inside the tins are small, square, cardboard boxes with I assume 25 rounds (didn't empty them out). NOT on stripper clips.
Well, that's everything I learned this evening. I hope other shooters will share there experiences with surplus and maybe turn this in to a half decent FAQ for new collectors.
Hope you enjoy!!


















































