94 Short Rifle

Mike Webb

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
214   0   1
Location
Southern N.B.
Here's a short rifle I own. It's a 20 inch extra lightweight barrel takedown with express sights. It has the 8 3/8 inch forend, one inch shorter than standard and is shown next to a standard 26 inch rifle. Anybody else own a short rifle?
gun007.jpg

gun002.jpg

gun013.jpg
 
Very nice short rifle Mike, a rare find up here. Bet it handles very nicely when you put it up to your shoulder.
I have not come across one myself. Especially nice with the TD and lightweight barrel. Do you know when your gun was made?
matt
 
Nice rifle both of you, Mike I would concur, my bet is swivels, shot but and short barrel. Very compact and effective looking 73 jpc!

I have a short rifle of sorts, 1902 94 with half mag 20in barrel. Does that count?

94half1.jpg


Sorry for the crappy pic, I didn't get any new ones yet.
 
It's not really a short rifle but it is a special order carbine. My grandfather had one just like it in .32 special and it was a delight to carry in the woods. Or is it a short barrelled rifle? I can't really see the front sight or butt.
 
Lettered back that it was originally a oct barrelled rifle in 32WS but came back to the factory six/seven months later and changed to this config in 30WCF. It was swapped and sent out the same day it came in (how's that for customer service!).

So it still retains its cresent shaped butt and rifle mag tube plug, and the front sight is a rifle style in a dovetail.
 
And yea, it kept its original rifle foreend.

I hate to say it, but as we all share our 'stuff' I realize more and more that my tastes are developing more towards this kind of thing. That short 94 of yours Mike is a dream and would be fun to hunt with.
 
I plan on hitting the woods with it this fall. Even if I don't get a crack at anything with it, it still is great to carry it. These old guns still deserve to go hunting.
 
'73
I figured the SG Butt, Sling Swivels and 20" barrel would have been the options but it letters with just the 20" round barrel.
With some further research I had found that it was shipped to England with 15-20 rifles of the same configuration.

take care

jpc
 
That's weird. It must have British proofs then, does it? I wonder who ordered them?

Yep it is covered in them.
The only other one I have seen (identical) was for sale on Leroy Merz site and that is where I got the history/information on the batch going to the UK.
Mine letters as being shippied 2-23-1881

take care

jpc
 
Back
Top Bottom