A .45-70 Gov High Wall

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
30" octagonal barrel express rifle is currently looking at me across my desk, having just come home with me from my local gun dealer. It's not a 'real' one, but a Uberti replica, but it looks pretty good to me. Four months old is all it is, having been bought by ol' Greville (butterfly brain), as is his wont. The excuse for not holding onto this one was puzzling - he's a leftie and bought it because unlike the Sharps, the high/low wall rifles have the hammer in the middle - and are suitable for anybody to shoot without that big old hammer flapping around in front of your eyeball, unless, of course, your name is Stevie Wonder.

Fifteen shots later, it was up for sale, at a saving of almost $500, including the tang-mounted long-range Vernier sights.

Seems there's just no pleasing some folks, eh?

I even got the fifteen empties, too.

I'll be joining the Single-shot BP Cartridge Rifle Club of UK, and subjecting it to a diet on nothing other than the real thing. I'm making my cross-sticks this evening from some nice cherry that came out of a backyard in Ontario a few years ago, so every time I set it up I can be right back there.

I'll be sending our Mooncoon some pics some time soon. Maybe he'll share them with you, but heck, you all know what it looks like, right? Hickock45 shows his off on his YouTube movie, but mine has all the spiffy checkering that his lacks. :p I'd just like to be able to shoot it half as well as he does, though...

Best to all.

tac
 
Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I just bought a new Uberti High Wall chambered in .38-55. I already have the sights but the base isn't the right profile to fit firmly to the tang. So I need to machine it a little first or bed it with some other trick. But that's me and this is your thread.

If you're going to be shooting from a sitting position be sure your crossed sticks are well adjustable in all manner of directions. And in fact it may be worth setting aside that special wood for the moment and make up a trial set out of lumberyard stuff. I'm sure that if you look down the line of shooters you've seen a wide array of stools and crossed sticks all with various height and posture setups. And what SEEMS right in the shop may not pan out at the range.

Odd as it sounds one of the biggest improvements in my shooting came not from the gun, the ammo or the sights. Instead it was finally bucking up and buying some nice high contrast Shoot N-C targets to stick to a white cardboard backing. The colourful edges of the holes makes spotting the hits easy and the higher contrast of the big black target is seen more clearly through the small target peep. I use the 8 inch for out to 100 and the 12's for 200 and more. After all we can't hit what we can't see clearly enough.

If you're loading black a hint I picked up from a long time BPCR shooter is to adjust the load to vary the powder compression. Seems like the actual weight of the charge counts for something but when fine tuning for the day that the actual amount isn't as important as achieving the optimum compression. Or you might consider wads or fillers as a control over the compression so the weight can remain consistent. But then that's what makes this all so much fun. The eternal quest for the "Magic One Hole"..... :D
 
Back
Top Bottom