Accuracy question

As pointed out by a couple of people, it is not a question of this ammunition being bad. The group size at 125 yards will be about 2.5 times what you are shooting at 50 yards, and with your scope you should have no problems in duplicating that level of accuracy. It doesn't matter if it is a pump with 18 inch barrel or bolt with a 26 inch heavy barrel.
So, is the group at 125 the same relative size or not? If it is 2.5 times the size, there is no ammunition problem, or rifle problem. If it is significantly larger, then it is likely a question of your target, as your shooting routine is sufficient for 50 yards. Sometimes shooters try to use too small of a target, making it harder to shoot accurately (yes, I know that if you have a .22 Super duper with a 24x scope you can shoot at postage stamps), but this is a hunting rifle.
All this assumes that you are shooting your groups at 125 yards with the same setup as you are using at 50.
 
IMHO, I think the reasoning for this is that perhaps you are not using a rest and perhaps you are exerting more energy in trying to make the longer shot then the close 50 yarder...

If you want to know what the gun and ammo is capable of, try to reduce the human error...

Jeff
 
I have the same rifle and love it. When developing loads for it I found that I had to try a number of different loads, but a 180 grain factory load (cheapo from Federal) shot great. Keep experimenting. Mine will keep 'em inside 2" out to 150 yards if I do my part, but it won't with all ammo.
 
You are sure the cloverleafs at 50yds are not the beginning of a slight keyhole. The Rem. should have the 1/10 twist to put those 180s to bed but it sounds strange on such a differnce at 125. The 18.5 inch barrel may not impart enough rotational spin because of the lower velocity( i'm guessing about 2400-2450fps) to stabilize the bullet early enough . Are the bullet holes at 125 yds concentric. I know this is probaly not the problem but i be interested on what it would do with 150 gr core loks. I know this velocity is about what a .303 will throw them and they are fine for accuracy but they have much faster twist. Anyhow just a thought.:wave:
 
Back
Top Bottom