advice on a new navy revolver

VirtualMarc

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
Edmonton
I've owned a pietta new navy .36 revolver (in stainless steel) for 20 years but never really got the 6 shooter bug. It's in pretty good shape, was fired a few times in th 1980s. Thinking about selling/trading it but i'm having a tough time figuring out value. Haven't found any others forsale. Any advice on how to value such an animal? Anyone own this model and have an opinion?
 
If it is a Model 1851 Navy in Stainless it is not that common,here is a link to a sponsor dealer that sells Pietta with retail new prices,no Stainless guns listed.
The Stainless version is good as far as corrosion resistance but it is not really authentic.
I think a fair price on it would be $400.00 if it is in very good condition.

http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=76235
 
Thanks Skinny1950. Pretty sure it's a model RGS36. Interesting comment about corrosion versus authentic. Must have made these for the avid shooter.
 
Skinny 1950,
Found that model # here:
http://www.pietta.us/products/Muzzleloadinguns/Remington/index.html
Mine looks identical to the one on the right side of the picture. I think that makes it a 1858 New Model Navy Stainless Steel. In the table lower down on that same Pietta page there's only one stainless 36 w/o adj. sights, the RGS36. I think the RGST36 is the "target" version with an adj. sights(?)
The Pietta info says "1858 NEW MODEL ARMY STAINLESS STEEL .36/.44 cal". Seems the way it works is if it's a .44 it's Army, and .36 is Navy. Do you know if that's correct?
 
At first I thought it was a Colt 1851 Navy which would be quite rare in Stainless, the .36 cal. is what caused the confusion.
I have seen the Remington 1858 in .44 cal. Stainless...almost bought one it looked so nice,I didn't know they made it in .36 cal.
Cyclone ...I have one of those that I bought used I think they call it a "Yank" model or "Rebel" or something like that. Mine has seen so many full house loads that the arbour is loose and it won't shoot straight anymore. Going to take it out to Rusty Wood Trading and get them to fix it...they also have a large number of antiques for sale.
 
At first I thought it was a Colt 1851 Navy which would be quite rare in Stainless, the .36 cal. is what caused the confusion.
I have seen the Remington 1858 in .44 cal. Stainless...almost bought one it looked so nice,I didn't know they made it in .36 cal.
Cyclone ...I have one of those that I bought used I think they call it a "Yank" model or "Rebel" or something like that. Mine has seen so many full house loads that the arbour is loose and it won't shoot straight anymore. Going to take it out to Rusty Wood Trading and get them to fix it...they also have a large number of antiques for sale.


If you see anything nice :D , holler !...:cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom