Alright ladies and gents, i need some help please.

Dorian Gray

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
What i need from one of you fine CGNers is to tell me who exactly makes: Winchester Xpert .22 lr ammunition. And i need their address. I'm pretty sure it's Olin Industries out of East Alton, Illinois. But i need to know what division of Olin and where the ammo manufacturing plant is.

Why i need to know who makes it is because i bought some of this ammo and have had a number of instances (4 or 5) where the primer explodes when struck by the firing mechanism sending huge black clouds back into my face. I use a Bolt Action Sureshot Repeater and have never had any problems with thousands of any other rounds i have put through it. I know the gun is an old beater and i need to upgrade eventually but it still works fine with any other ammo and the gun is still dead on accurate.

I want to write them a letter to express my dissatisfaction and to send in the cassings of the f*cked up shells to show them that they are sending potentialy dangerous ammo to people.

Any assistance in this little venture of mine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
xpert 22

I had the same thing happen about 2 years ago with an xpert round. it blew out the rim and sent a bunch of dirty sooty material all over the inside of my cooey model 60. I remember I sent winchester an email, and they asked me if i could send them the faulty round for inspection. Unfortunately, I had thrown it out. I believe I got their email address off of the winchester web site. Hope you kept the evidence.
 
A little more research will give u the full story. Dating back to 2007, here is a snippet of what was released
Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling several lots of its WILDCAT® 22 (Symbol Number WW22LR) and XPERT® 22 (Symbol Number XPERT22) 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition.

Lot Numbers containing Letters: XN, YA, YB or YC

Through extensive evaluation Winchester has determined the above lots of WILDCAT® 22 and XPERT® 22 ammunition may contain double powder charges. Double powder charge weight ammunition may cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable, and subject the shooter to a risk of personal injury and/or death when fired.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® WILDCAT® 22 RIMFIRE AMMUNITION WITH LOT NUMBERS CONTAINING LETTERS XN, YA, YB or YC. The ammunition Lot Number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the outside of the right tuck flap of the 50-round box. . .

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® XPERT® 22 RIMFIRE AMMUNITION WITH LOT NUMBERS CONTAINING LETTERS XN, YA, YB or YC. The ammunition Lot Number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the outside of the top tuck flap of the 500-round box. . .


Your problem may differ from what they describe but this will give u a general idea. If yours falls in there, I would question your retailer as well as they were instructed to remove this product 3yrs ago(assuming u purchased recently)
Good luck
dB
 
bad brass can cause this problem. They will want the lot # stamped in the box and may eventually ask you for the rest of the ammo of the same lot. I expect they will give you a brick or two of good ammo.
 
Thanks everybody. I bought the ammo at my local Home Hardware last fall and am going to go there tomorrow to let them know about the problem i've had. It's not worth causing a big stink over but i feel they should know about the problem.

What really cheesed me off was that i was out target shooting with my girlfriend when it happend most recently and she's new to shooting. After it happened, (thankfully i was the one firing the gun when the cartridge burst) my girlfriend didn't want to shoot any more that day, fearing it would happen to her also. I don't think new shooters should have to deal with that kind of sh*t.

I plan on sending them the burst casing as well as a letter stating my dissatisfaction with their product. It would be nice if they would send me at least 1, 500 round box of free ammo to make up for my wasted money but i'm not holding my breath. Maybe they'd send me a coupon good for a box at a store around here though. Thanks for the help people.
 
The address on a box I have is:
Winchester
Olin Corporation
East Alton, IL
62024
No street address is given but I suppose East Alton is small enough that it should not be a problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom