An unusual find today!

dthunter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum group to post this.

Today I found this old Antique "Dominion" paper, 300 Savage cartridge box lying underneath a small branch out in an out of the way location. I thought it was a neat and unique find this day and age!

My guess is someones grand kid took grandpas old rifle and ammo, and blew off a few rounds. I didnt find any empties though, darn it!

Hope you like the few pictures I took for those interested in old cartridge ammunition boxes.













 
Looks like it's been out there in the elements for a year or more. It's not an uncommon caliber as I know more than one guy still hunting with the 300 savage. As far as not finding any brass, that empty box could have blown a couple of 100 yards easily before that tree fell on it.
 
I once found some very corroded 40/82 cases , that had obviously been there a long time , while hunting above treeline in the Wilmore Wilderness Reserve . That was over 30 years ago , but I still wonder how they got there and who used them . In a sense , they are time capsules . It's not unlike finding arrowheads , different people and cultures , but still , I feel a certain connection to them . Good post .
 
Makes me feel old - this thread about an antique Dominion box. I can remember when that was the new style packaging. Sigh.
 
Makes me feel old - this thread about an antique Dominion box. I can remember when that was the new style packaging. Sigh.
I'm feelin it a bit too, a pretty good chunk of the ammunition in our household was in that same style of box when I was a young guy. Seems like only yesterday in some ways, boy time does fly doesn't it?
 
I think I have the very same box stowed away but its in much better condition. Too bad that there was no brass. Thats a difficult rifle to feed these days. I had to pass along a 250/300 for the same reason.

Cheers. SJ
 
I still have a couple full boxes of INTERARMCO .303 british and Dominion.303 british KKSP ammo stashed away.
Also old .22 ammo like whiz-bang , and such / Paper hulled 12 gauge ammo / .577 snider shot shells / .43 mauser . It's a sickness . and highly contagious !
 
I still have a couple full boxes of INTERARMCO .303 british and Dominion.303 british KKSP ammo stashed away.
Also old .22 ammo like whiz-bang , and such / Paper hulled 12 gauge ammo / .577 snider shot shells / .43 mauser . It's a sickness . and highly contagious !

i have a couple boxes almost full as I recall of Dominion .43 Mauser. I have asked around if its first, safe to shoot and second, is it valuable ?

Thoughts? SJ
 
Makes me feel old - this thread about an antique Dominion box. I can remember when that was the new style packaging. Sigh.

Perhaps you and I could sell ourselves at a premium price if we advertised ourselves as Genuine Antiques !
 
.43 mauser? I buy it to shoot. I have a 71/84 Spandau made , .43 mauser. I see ammo at gun shows sometimes and I have payed $2 per loose bullet. I have also seen guys ask $100 or more for a box of 20. I have never seen any of those guys sell any though. They just pack it up and take the same ammo from show to show , waiting for the right fish. Ammo is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. They have a right to ask anything they want though , and I wish them good luck with it ! My thoughts on it are , it is old ammo and may not fire. In which case I still have the brass to work with . Just hang onto to it. When it turns the color of money , that's got to be a good sign, right? LOL Green is not a fashionable color for ammo.
 
.43 mauser? I buy it to shoot. I have a 71/84 Spandau made , .43 mauser. I see ammo at gun shows sometimes and I have payed $2 per loose bullet. I have also seen guys ask $100 or more for a box of 20. I have never seen any of those guys sell any though. They just pack it up and take the same ammo from show to show , waiting for the right fish. Ammo is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. They have a right to ask anything they want though , and I wish them good luck with it ! My thoughts on it are , it is old ammo and may not fire. In which case I still have the brass to work with . Just hang onto to it. When it turns the color of money , that's got to be a good sign, right? LOL Green is not a fashionable color for ammo.

I'm inclined to agree. I have some Bertram brass that I use normally. Might as well use up that Old Dominion Ammo.

Cheers. SJ
 
I still have a few boxes of Dominion 455 Colt left out of 10 box stash I bought over 30 years ago . The other 8 boxes went downrange a long time ago . I've had offers from collectors , but I just can't seem to part with it .
 
Back
Top Bottom