antique firearm maintenance

spencers

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day. I have a number of antique Civil War era revolvers. In Alberta the temperatures (humidity) change with the seasons. If the revolvers are Left untouched, would the wood and metal deteriorate over time? Would introduction of a humidity, temperature controlled room restore any deterioration over time? Would this stop further deterioration? I would appreciate the help if someone has specific answers to these questions and would provide information on restoring and maintaining the metal and wood on antique weapons. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ron
 
A controlled environment isn't going to restore any deterioration. Wood that is dry as a popcorn fart may moisten up a bit.

Don't overthink it. These revolvers have been around for 150 years and will stay around a lot longer with simple care. A light coat of gun oil is enough to preserve a metal on display. I like to use a little boiled linseed oil on wood stocks once in a while but living on the wet coast I am not concerned about them drying out.

If humidity is a true concern, avoid storing them anywhere where there is no airflow! I have a humid basement and I have seen mold grow on wood stocks that have been sitting in stagnant air.
 
Lol I’m in Calgary and my concern is the lack of humidity... moved from Nova Scotia, a humid climate to here, and all my axe and hammer handles shrunk up and the heads slipped off. I wouldn’t worry about it. I have one rifle I haven’t oiled in two years and it’s dry and rust free. Alberta is the farthest thing from humid.
 
I will support the Renaissance Wax application suggestions, doesn't take much (thin applications) and leaves a nice soft sheen. I was warned though to make sure that whatever you are covering is clean and free of finger prints etc. because after you wax over a finger print it is there until you remove the wax..........
 
Back
Top Bottom