Antique revolver..storage and display??

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I recently bought an antique Pocket Colt and would like to have a reproduction display box made for it. I tried to hack my way through the regulations for antiques regarding storage and display but I am not sure if the display box with a lock on it will cut it for storage? Would I need a trigger lock on it as well,or maybe lock the box in a bigger steel box with a lock on it??
Here is a picture of an original gun and box that I am going to use as a guide for the reproduction. Any input would be appreciated...thanks.

0519-01.jpg
 
The law states that 'antique firearms must be stored, displayed and transported unloaded'. That is it. No trigger locks required, no locked cases required. You can simply set your box on table, open it up, and you are in full compliance with the law if it is unloaded.

There remains only the issue of safety. Yours is a percussion gun (and a lovely one at that!) so most people would not know how to load it. Regardless, I would make sure the powder flask was empty. For antique cartridge revolvers, I would store the live ammo in another location, so that you would not have to worry about kids loading up the old antique and blowing someone's head off accidentally.
 
The gun in the picture above is not mine...I am using the picture as an example to have a box made.
So I can store it in a box similar to the one pictured (it has a small lock) with no trigger lock???
Here are pictures of my gun which I am restoring to shooting condition.

1849Daylight003.jpg

1849Daylight001.jpg
 
Here's a cut and paste of the relevant section of the regulations SOR/98-209 Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations on the Department of Justice Website
ANTIQUE FIREARMS

14. (1) An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.
(2) An individual may transport an antique firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the antique firearm, is securely locked.
(3) An individual may transport an antique firearm that is a handgun only if it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation. ​
 
Last edited:
I have run across Bill's cases...pretty nice stuff at reasonable prices.
I like to support local craftsmen when I can..it is going to cost more but I may need some more work done down the road. I can do metal work with the tools that I have but not set up for wood.
 
Back
Top Bottom