antiques and "44 centerfire"...?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
I've been getting this a fair bit recently and it has me a little confused.

Several antiques I've come across have been listed or said to be chambered in "44 centerfire".... to my knowledge this isn't the name for a specific cartridge, but rather a catch all for any and all 44's, am I right? Or is there perhaps a long obsolete cartridge named this (the first 44 center fire?) or is this a common nickname for a specific cartridge?
 
Probably a catch all. There are quite a number of specific .44 cartridges.
Maybe the reader is expected to know which cartridge a particlalr gun accepts. Maybe the person doesn't know.
 
I find that the American guys on Gunbroker seem to use that '44 calibre' designation a lot and in my experience it is because they do not know if its 44-40, or 44 Russian or Remmy or American or M&H or Colt or Special or whatever. I guess it doesn't matter to their laws but it does to ours.
 
I find that the American guys on Gunbroker seem to use that '44 calibre' designation a lot and in my experience it is because they do not know if its 44-40, or 44 Russian or Remmy or American or M&H or Colt or Special or whatever. I guess it doesn't matter to their laws but it does to ours.

Exactly. I think it's a little bit of an ego thing too, as they don't want to admit they don't know. A few I've asked further and they got downright pissy over being forced to say they didn't know.
 
Some of the revolvers from that period were simply marked ".44" or ".44CF". In most cases it is 44-40 but not always.

Picking a knowledgeable seller is a major part of getting an honest accurate description. If the guy isn't knowledgeable he can't be accurate. I find that sellers who aren't willing to identify the chambering are usually not worth dealing with.
 
One of the worst offenders ..IMHO..is a large dealer in Houston, TX. I guess they are busy but they sure as H don't want to go out of their way to try and find out either. The 38 cals are similar; everything is 'just 38'!
 
Back
Top Bottom