Any Surplus 30.06

kinetic711

Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Is there any surplus 30.06 ammo around? If so, where and how much and can I buy it by the crate like x39? Also, maybe a bit of topic, will it do any damage to my hunting rifle if I use it at the range for practice?
 
"...any surplus 30.06 ammo around?..." No. It hasn't been used, Stateside, since the early 70's. I've never seen cases of .30-06 M2 ball, including when working in a gun shop, 30 years ago.
20 round boxes appear at gun shows, occasionally. It won't hurt your rifle, but it won't be particularly accurate either. Unless it's Match ammo.
You'd be better off reloading for your rifle.
"...Most surplus ammo is corrosive..." U.S. made M2 ball hasn't used corrosive primers since the early '50's. U.S. made .30 Carbine and 7.62NATO ammo never used 'em. European ammo certainly was though.
 
I saw a US listing for Korean made, non corrosive, brass cased .30 M2 ball. It was in an ammo case, 20 boxes of 20 rounds- 400 total for $99.99 but no stock. Does anything like this ever turn up in Canada?

No. And even in the US, that would be a very old listing/price. Even 7.62x54 sells for more than that these days.

For a company to import/sell any ammo in Canada it must first be tested and approved by NRCAN. Not worth it for small batches, and because of the costs (thousand+ $) and time involved (1 to 2 years) you certainly aren't going to get it for 25 cents/round.
 
No. And even in the US, that would be a very old listing/price. Even 7.62x54 sells for more than that these days.

For a company to import/sell any ammo in Canada it must first be tested and approved by NRCAN. Not worth it for small batches, and because of the costs (thousand+ $) and time involved (1 to 2 years) you certainly aren't going to get it for 25 cents/round.

Thanks for the info SandRoad. I still see Lake City 30.06 advertised on US websites for a good price. The only problem is getting it here. I guess I will have to look into handloading.
 
U.S. made M2 ball hasn't used corrosive primers since the early '50's. U.S. made .30 Carbine and 7.62NATO ammo never used 'em. European ammo certainly was though.



I won't dispute this. The last time I had surplus 30.06 ammo was more than 30 years ago. I was still a teenager when my Dad obtained a box from an older/retired gentleman. The box contained an old mess kit and hundreds of mixed rounds of .303, 30.06 and other unknown rounds, maybe 800 or 1000 in total. We used them as range rounds for probably ten years before we ran out. We've been loading since, never seen them again.
 
Back
Top Bottom