Anyone own a ROOK rifle? Lets see it!

LuckyStrike

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
I just have this one..... Love these old shooters, and yes in fact I do on occasion shoot it.
She's chambered for .380 , but not all that easy to find, so .38 Long Colt fits and fires quite accurately at 50 yards.
Has a folding leaf type sight, Martini action, and nice (not fancy) wood. Was told by a couple people looking at the way she was made that Greener was the likely maker.
Label is Hardy Bro's. Alnwick
I have collected vintage fishing tackle (Hardy fly reels, among many other reels and lures, catalogs, etc) so this is the reason the gun ended up in my hands.
One of my all time fav's for sure........

Hope to see your ROOK rifle , or collection (and stories) here in the near future!

Tight Lines & Str8 shootin'

Lucky


IMG_8538HardyRook.jpg


IMG_8540.jpg


IMG_8543.jpg


IMG_8542.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice is an understatement on the wood,awesome is more like it. The checkering is also well done looks deep and right where you want it.
I don't own one but if I ever saw one for sale I would consider maxing out all my credit cards.:eek:
 
I had one once, It was in original 360 Rook #5. A single shot hinge action, side lever by Lanchester & Son out of London?? It accepted 38 Special wadcutters with the less than three grains of pistol powder powering it. Nothing more powerful than this load was ever shot from it by me.
Shooting rabbits in the bush at 25 yards or less, the report was so popgun like I could shoot 5 rabbits in ten minutes no problem because the nearby critters did not seem disturbed by the report. I think it was less noisy that 22 LR for sure. The prior owner had an interesting career too. He was a master carpenter during WW2 in the Moose Jaw area. He was employed teaching Commonwealth airforce airframe tech's (riggers they were called then) wood work & such other aircraft repair/work skills under the British Commonwealth Training Plan. It was believed one of his UK students brought it over with him and left it with his teacher when he completed his training. This is all heresay though. There's nothing to actually proove this story.

In a moment of shear stupidity I sold it.
 
You mean a 36 #5 Rook? The action looks like a martini action with a hammer, full wood military stock with an unusually high trigger pull weight?
Guess I'll need to take some pics.
 
Rook rifles

http://

The top one is by Westley Richards and is in 297/250
Second is marked T Murray and is in 300 Rook
Thrid one is rather odd Marked Bilsset London but the action is a Tranter and these actions were used on some pistols caliber is 320 revolver

http://

You push the small knob to open the action and the extractor is pulled out by hand to get the case out

http://

Then we have a muzzleloading rook rifle about 40 caliber marked Harkom
And a Martini sold by J Borune it was in 320 revolver but is now in 32/20

http://

This was a good quality rifle which is uncommon for Rook rifles having the stalking saftey and good engraving and a poor picture
 
Back
Top Bottom