Anyone shoot a scoped sharps 74 ?Me needs help

rimfire458

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So I got this pedersoli 1874 pattern from another CGN'r in 40/65. Had the Shiloh thing and all those other high dollar rigs. Ya good guns, but You typically carry a spare bullet. I won't say what You use that bullet for after You put a scratch in the gun , but I think You all know :p. So I figured get a used, but in good shape pedersoli, then a scratch is just a scratch. Having said that I thought I'd see if there was even a lick of accuracy to be had. Tried a few loads. Stumbled by shear happenstance onto this in pic. Only loaded 5 cause I had pulling SPG coated stuff if the loads a total flop. Ya well at 75 yds with as good as my ole eyes can do with a peep, 4 beside the dime, one high right after an adjustment to zero it. My God I have sako's that won't do better. That being said I MUST scope this thing. I've looked at Malcolm. Can someone, anyone point me to what they know to be a good solid scope/mount set up? If it's that good with a peep look out world if I can get er scoped. I surely would like feed back as to the good, bad, ugly.

Thank You
securedownloa_zpsba8ee9c0.jpg
 
I would spend the dollars and install a MVA or a RHO, but if you are not shooting against the big dogs and just want to play the leatherwood is entry level .
 
Way to go, Rimfire!
Just to play devil's advocate, have you considered keeping the peep sight and using it? I hear you about the old eyes, and I thought the same thing, until I spent $90 and put a Hadley Eye Cup on my soule sight. It really works like a champ, in any reasonable amount of light. You just line up on your target, and then flip from one aperture to the next, until the front sight comes clear. I shoot my Gibbs without glasses, it works so well. Just a thought... Check it out.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=160566&CAT=4084
 
I owned a Leatherwood Malcolm scope but was really dissapointed by the mounts. I switched to a 23" MVA and really like it. The mounts are very precise and repeatable, although a bit difficult to read. They sell what they call "moa" knobs that work well, but I had one come loose on me at Heffley Creek last year. I think I just hadn't tightened them properly. The shorter MVA scopes have tons of elevation adjustment with the standard mounts too.

I also use an MVA B5 and it's really nice to use and adjust, but I prefer the Pope rib concept on their Malcolm style scopes to the way the B5 works.

I've heard that the Dan Zimmerman scopes/mounts are really good, but would look better on a highwall than a Sharps, in my not so important opinion :).

It looks like you have a good shooting rifle there!

Chris.
 
I'm told Malcolm has the glass, nitrogen, and I relief, but all others have better mounts. Boy that makes it easy. BTW RHO and Parsons NO MORE
 
Having second thoughts. I see a comp called Merit makes adj ap sights. They make a rubber light absorbing one I really like. Does anyone know if the rubber one also is adjustable? Their sight don't really say
 
They do make an adjustable sight, rimfire. It works just like the aperture setting on a SLR camera. Twist the disc one way, and the ap closes, the other and it opens. I have never actually seen one, but I assume they work pretty good. One thing, I am pretty sure I saw someplace that they are not legal in some competitions.
 
Yep Got the Merit #3 adj ap rubber disc on order as we speak. I'll get buy with one ragged hole till then
 
For sure. I like not having to change hole position and hope like he!! detent went in so I still have my hole position. Leaving the hole in position and just changing it's size to suit light and what I'm shooting at is to me, and if it works as they say better than indoor plumbing
 
Back
Top Bottom