Anywhere selling .455 webley brass?

meo1981

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I was sure I picked up my last bunch from "the bullet barn" but they don't have it listed anymore. Anyone know a shop who retails this caliber?

Thanks

Mike
 
Thanks AJ. After a fiasco with fiocchi 8mm level I'm none to keen to give them further business. I'll recheck rusty woods.
 
I'm curious, is it possible to start from .303 british?

I ordered a set of dies in .455 Webley.
After a lot of measuring and analyzing dimensions I'm almost sure I can make the brass with a little machining on the lathe
from,don't laugh,7.62x54 R brass.
Anyway,I have quite a lot of PPU brass that I load for the Mosin and SVT40,so we'll see how it turns out,will keep you posted.
 
Last edited:
I ordered a set of dies in .455 Webley.
After a lot of measuring and analyzing dimensions I'm almost sure I can make the brass with a little machining on the lathe
from,don't laugh,7.62x54 R brass.
Anyway,I have quite a lot of PPU brass that I load for the Mosin and SVT40,so we'll see how it turns out,will keep you posted.

This is much better than my speculation of starting with .303 Brit. In Donnelly's Handbook of Cartridge conversions, he put the starting cartridge for .455 Webley as .45 schofield. It sounds like 7.62x54R should work as long has you have the wherewithall to remove metal on the base, rim and mouth.
 
I think the .45 Schofield would be a cheaper cartridge to start with and all one needs to do is trim to length and reduce rim thickness. I did not even use a lathe but a friend of mine had a rim cutter built by a gun smith all it requires is a hand drill.
 
I think the .45 Schofield would be a cheaper cartridge to start with and all one needs to do is trim to length and reduce rim thickness. I did not even use a lathe but a friend of mine had a rim cutter built by a gun smith all it requires is a hand drill.

I've done this with a drill press, a file and a small tubing cutter ( and a micrometer of course ).Tedious, but it gets you shooting with a couple hours of simple labour.
 
Rusty Wood has Webley brass made from Starline 45 Colt brass. It’s listed under “other brass” in their reloading components section. $45 for 50.
 
I ordered a set of dies in .455 Webley.
After a lot of measuring and analyzing dimensions I'm almost sure I can make the brass with a little machining on the lathe
from,don't laugh,7.62x54 R brass.
Anyway,I have quite a lot of PPU brass that I load for the Mosin and SVT40,so we'll see how it turns out,will keep you posted.

As it turned out,too much work to make them from 7.62x54R.
The easiest way to make .455 Webley is from .45 auto rim,the length is already correct,all that needs to be done is to thin the rim
 
Some people have made up a die for a hydraulic press the slips over the case and swaged the rim thinner. Seems like a good idea if you have the means.

I'm still looking for an easy way to hold small cases in a drill press or some other easy means of thinning rims without much success.
 
Some people have made up a die for a hydraulic press the slips over the case and swaged the rim thinner. Seems like a good idea if you have the means.

I'm still looking for an easy way to hold small cases in a drill press or some other easy means of thinning rims without much success.

You don't have to chuck them down hard to do it. Finger tight is lots to perform it.
After a couple I got so I could give the ( finger tight) running chuck a fast twist toward me; almost a slap, ( RH here ) and the casing would just drop out into the palm of my left hand. Pick up another in the fingers of your R hand; insert it about 1/2 way and let your fingers of your left hand drag slightly on the chuck. Pick up the file and repeat.
Oh I crushed a couple, to be expected. But remarkably easy over-all.
Thin, then trim. Not the reverse.
45 AR would likely be a pain at this, casing would be too short... the extra length of a 45 LC or Schofield is actually working in your favor. Easier to work on it with a little more space between the chuck and the rim. Gives the chuck more surface area to grip too. Which means less pressure is req'd overall.
 
Last edited:
You don't have to chuck them down hard to do it. Finger tight is lots to perform it.
After a couple I got so I could give the ( finger tight) running chuck a fast twist toward me; almost a slap, ( RH here ) and the casing would just drop out into the palm of my left hand. Pick up another in the fingers of your R hand; insert it about 1/2 way and let your fingers of your left hand drag slightly on the chuck. Pick up the file and repeat.
Oh I crushed a couple, to be expected. But remarkably easy over-all.
Thin, then trim. Not the reverse.
45 AR would likely be a pain at this, casing would be too short... the extra length of a 45 LC or Schofield is actually working in your favor. Easier to work on it with a little more space between the chuck and the rim. Gives the chuck more surface area to grip too. Which means less pressure is req'd overall.

I just take a 7/16 bolt,cut off the head and slip the case over it,that way you only need to chuck it less than 1/4",,and no chance of crushing the case. Only took me 1/2 hour to do 50 cases.
 
I've done this with a drill press, a file and a small tubing cutter ( and a micrometer of course ).Tedious, but it gets you shooting with a couple hours of simple labour.

I've done the same, also using .45 Schofield. I think this is the cheapest and easiest way to get it done for someone without a lathe. It does take a while, though.

The benefits of .45 Schofield are that the rim requires minimum thinning - it may even fit without thinning, depending on your headspace (my former WG took starline brass without modification, IIRC). You can also shorten the case so that your cartridge will match your cylinder length perfectly; the Fiochi cartridges are pretty short).
 
Back
Top Bottom