I just got back from a successful, but far too short buffalo hunt in Alberta.
On the first shot I used aShiloh Sharps 45-90 firing a 405 grain flat head in front of 80 grains of Goex cart 030" wad max oal for the flathead.
I was aiming for the heart offhand about 70 yards, and the buff was walking.
When I set off round one his shoulder was in front of his heart because he was walking, and the bullet hit the shoulder, a bit of dust flew off, and the bugger put his head down, and started grazing.
After I wiped the stunned look off of my face I put a 540 grain Paul Jones creedmoor right through the heart, and it was dead before it hit the ground I'm sure.
I used 87 grains of Goex cart, 030" vegie wad, and the max 0al that will chamber without a push.
All of my lead was 30-1 alloy, and the heart shot went clean through.
So my goals were all met, a buff with my Shiloh, a heart shot, I got one bullet back for a souveneer, and my stocks made more than enough to pay for the whole damned trip.
It was a great time that goes by way too fast, and I'd love to do it again, or maybe go for an elk next time.
_________________
On the first shot I used aShiloh Sharps 45-90 firing a 405 grain flat head in front of 80 grains of Goex cart 030" wad max oal for the flathead.
I was aiming for the heart offhand about 70 yards, and the buff was walking.
When I set off round one his shoulder was in front of his heart because he was walking, and the bullet hit the shoulder, a bit of dust flew off, and the bugger put his head down, and started grazing.
After I wiped the stunned look off of my face I put a 540 grain Paul Jones creedmoor right through the heart, and it was dead before it hit the ground I'm sure.
I used 87 grains of Goex cart, 030" vegie wad, and the max 0al that will chamber without a push.
All of my lead was 30-1 alloy, and the heart shot went clean through.
So my goals were all met, a buff with my Shiloh, a heart shot, I got one bullet back for a souveneer, and my stocks made more than enough to pay for the whole damned trip.
It was a great time that goes by way too fast, and I'd love to do it again, or maybe go for an elk next time.
_________________


















































