Ballard Rifles

Ballard #5 Pacific in 40-85. I paper patch for this one, and it is fun to shoot. Was expensive to get set up reloading for, though!
 
Well I got it home and tried a few cartridges in it. 38 special, 38 colt and 38 s&w too loose. But 38-55 slides right in. So I am thinking someone rechambered it to 38-55 a long time ago. Its a marlin ballard no2. Now is it a strong enough action for 38-55?

The No.2 Ballard cast action are definitely not suitable for the 38-55 or the 32-40 class cartridges, unless it is a forged frame, which is VERY unlikely.

https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1208476934

My Marlin Ballard marked 44WCF was a No. 2 with a cast frame. The hammer had a reversible firing pin which allowed the gun to be used with either 44WCF or 44 Henry rimfire.

Regards,
Powderman
 
The No.2 Ballard cast action are definitely not suitable for the 38-55 or the 32-40 class cartridges, unless it is a forged frame, which is VERY unlikely.

https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1208476934

My Marlin Ballard marked 44WCF was a No. 2 with a cast frame. The hammer had a reversible firing pin which allowed the gun to be used with either 44WCF or 44 Henry rimfire.

Regards,
Powderman

I am going to get it relined and chambered to 38/40. Somethink different. I am not even going to try and shoot it as it is now.
 
I have a 40-85 Ballard Pacific in amazing shape that I shoot. Great trigger and accurate with the MVA sight on it. It is a bit too lively to shoot with the crescent buttplate with out a slip on recoil pad. Next season I want to try paper patch bullets in it. It seems to feel like a paper patch kind of gun. I have a set of new castings that I hope to turn into a rifle some day. I also have a forged frame that I think needs to become a 38-55. I also have a Ball and Williams project gun but I am not sure what it will become yet. Maybe 38 long colt with black powder only loads.
 
I put the original sights back on my Pacific this week, loaded up some paper patch ammo with 83 grains of FFg powder and shot in an originals shoot today. It was great fun and very accurate. Loads of smoke and that 360 gr bullets was just flying down the range. I can only imagine how that would work on a moose or elk. Very cool looking cartridge with that paper patch bullet sticking out of it.
 
I have a Ballard in 44 Rimfire with the fixed rimfire hammer. Have shot it with some rare 44 Long shells and it is most satisfying. Still have 25 more to play with before I need to get creative.
 
Back
Top Bottom