Barrel for a BPCR

cant_rope_the_wind01

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have a 1885 rifle chambered in 45-70 the problem is that the barrel has been welded shut about 2 inches into the muzzle end (by the previous owner making it unusable ) the action is perfect the stock is in mint shape. I would like to re barrel this to a 40-65 for my wife, who in sask /AB would be able to get me a barrel for a 40-65 and re barrel this for me, I'm thinking a badger barrel or a green mountain barrel
 
It would be much less trouble and expense to have the barrel you already have, COUNTERBORED on a lathe.

There are lots of older rifles around which have been counterbored, often with a milling cutter to square the rifling perfectly. It was a standard technique for a very long time, was used by the Finns up until recently. It is by far the easiest and cheapest way to restore accuracy on an older rifle or one with a damaged barrel and it is entirely period-correct.

The end product will be the original barrel on the rifle, simply missing 2 inches of rifling. The forward 2 inches of your barrel now becomes essentially a flash-hider and no-one need know the tale unless you want them to know it.

Rebarrelling the original rifle will ruin the collectors' value of the thing; this will preserve it to a great extent.

As a bonus, there are MANY more moulds available for the .45-70 than there are for any .40-calibre.

Hope this helps.
 
Or you could shorten the barrel. It would be nice to save the original.

If you want a Green Mountain barrel then I'm sure that yu could get Barry at Bits of Pieces ( Delta, B.C. ) to send you one.

Another option would be to wait for one to show up at local gun shows. I usually see one or two new ones each year.

Is yours a #3 or a #4?

Chris.
 
Another though. If you want a really nice competition grade barrel fitted to your rifle you could contact Ron Smith. As I understand it he's booked for the year, but in the single shot world few, if anyone, makes barrels as competative as Ron Smith.

Chris.
 
Back
Top Bottom