Barrel liner for Snider Sporting rifle

chasseur

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
90   1   0
Location
, Nova Scotia
I have a Snider sporting rifle that somewhere in its history was reamed smooth to 20ga with a 2 1/2 chamber and nitro proofed.I was thinking on having the barrel lined to 45/70 for BP loads.Would there be any problem with this and is there anyone in Canada who does this work?Also anyone know a source in Canada for 2 1/2 inch brass 20ga shells
 
I have a Snider sporting rifle that somewhere in its history was reamed smooth to 20ga with a 2 1/2 chamber and nitro proofed.I was thinking on having the barrel lined to 45/70 for BP loads.Would there be any problem with this and is there anyone in Canada who does this work?Also anyone know a source in Canada for 2 1/2 inch brass 20ga shells


the 45-70 is to long for the Snider. Look for a barrel and have it installed in the original cartridge configuration.
 
I also looked into having a Snider barrel lined, it was explained to me that the Snider base diameter (.660) is so large I'd have to have a stepped liner which is and extra added pain, it would not be cheap and I am not sure who in Canada would even take on the task.
 
Rather than a stepped liner, the breech of the barrel could be bushed, and then a single diameter liner installed.
 
If you could find a reproduction percussion enfield barrel for sale cheap, you could also rebarrel the gun with that and of course chamber to 577 snider

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom