From time to time, the subject of reattaching shotgun ribs comes up and I thought that I would post the method that seems to work for me. In the past, people have suggested to me that I should use various types of wedges to press the rib down and usually pressing against soft iron haywire wrapped around the barrels. For me, the wire usually slipped when I tapped the wedges in. What does seem to work is using a piece of channel iron with "square donuts" fastened to it, complete with adjustable screws to position the barrels. I also made up a series of C clamps to clamp the rib down and made ones with the lower leg long enough to span both barrels while the screw is centered on the rib. Important to put something soft between the rib and the screw to avoid scratching the rib. I use 32 auto shells near the muzzle and the same or 9mm shells near the breach where the rib is wider. Also important to tin the rib and the barrels before soldering and I find that I have to wipe the solder on with steel wool and flux to avoid bare patches. Also important not to leave bumps or puddles of excess solder or the rib will not clamp down snug to the barrels. Before soldering the two together I wash the barrels with lots of hot water to remove the excess flux and then put a very thin layer of flux on the surfaces to be soldered
One problem I still have not solved is that it is very difficult to remove the last strip of solder along the rib and on the outside of the barrels. I use a sanding drum in a Dremel tool to clean the worst of the solder away followed by drawfiling to bare iron but an invisible layer of solder seems to absorb into the iron close to the seam and that repels all attempts are rebluing.
cheers mooncoon
I think that I forgot to mention that a clean work bench is a sign of a disturbed mind :>) :>)
One problem I still have not solved is that it is very difficult to remove the last strip of solder along the rib and on the outside of the barrels. I use a sanding drum in a Dremel tool to clean the worst of the solder away followed by drawfiling to bare iron but an invisible layer of solder seems to absorb into the iron close to the seam and that repels all attempts are rebluing.
cheers mooncoon
I think that I forgot to mention that a clean work bench is a sign of a disturbed mind :>) :>)
Last edited:


















































