Best Effective Factory Load .223 for Coyotes

Joe549

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
What is the most effective factory load .223 for coyotes? I realize every gun is going to shoot differently, but I am interested in which ones would be good to try.

So far I have found that my Savage 12 FVSS shoots Winchester Varmint JHP 45g, Federal Premium Nosler Partition 60g, Hornady Superformance V-Max 53g and Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 50g the best. The best performing one so far I would say is the Federal Premium. Of these, which would be the best for taking down coyotes, or what else should I try?
 
choices

Dude

A coyote hunt is a one or two bullets a day outing, not like you are going on a goose shoot and need 2 boxes of 25. Take the ones that shoot the best and save the others for the range, providing your best shooters are NOT full metal jacket rounds. FS
 
I have had great luck with the 50gr ballistic tip on coyotes. Far side of the coyote has a gaping exit wound and they die quickly. (handloads)

I tried some of the zombie max (.223) which is really just v-max for $1 less. I have only shot one coyote with them but had similar results. $19 per box of 20.

I'm sure a partition would work fine, since the front core is softer and designed to expand rapidly but for varmint you really don't need that rear core. Additionally, it's not tipped or boat tailed for long range varmint shooting...
 
What is the most effective factory load .223 for coyotes? I realize every gun is going to shoot differently, but I am interested in which ones would be good to try.

So far I have found that my Savage 12 FVSS shoots Winchester Varmint JHP 45g, Federal Premium Nosler Partition 60g, Hornady Superformance V-Max 53g and Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 50g the best. The best performing one so far I would say is the Federal Premium. Of these, which would be the best for taking down coyotes, or what else should I try?

Ask the coyote after the fact. I doubt wether or not any of them will notice a difference.

Many people on this site, make far to much ballyhoo over the best bullet for this or for that.

What you really need to keep in mind is that an average coyote has a cross section of 4-8 inches or 8-16 cm. Most are around 12cm.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is 3 inches of hair above and 1 inch below that.

Under most circumstances the coyote isn't going to stop and give you a chance to figure out, where in that hair he's hiding. He will usually be constantly moving. Once in a while, you get lucky though.

Can you put any of the bullets you mentioned into that area, from the shoulder area to mid rib cage????

As was mentioned before, 2-3 bullets is all you're going to use. Sometimes, depending on how much land you have to hunt on and how many coyotes there are, you might need as many as 10. Not often though.

My favorite coyote rifle is a Tikka T3, chambered in 6.5x55, shooting Hornady 95 grain V-Max bullets at just over 3000fps.

It has about the same trajectory out to 400m as your 223 with any of the bullets you mention.

I like it because it handles wind a bit better than lighter bullets and in some cases, especially where cattle or sheep are present, the bullets blow up completely and I don't have to worry about ricochets. No, I won't shoot if there is even a remote chance of hitting another animal or if there is a chance of a ricochet, which there is no way of calling.

Don't worry about it to much. For coyote hunting, you want extremely frangible bullets that are accurate in your rifle. That's all that counts.

I really used to like the Speer TNT offerings. They were like hand grenades on anything they hit.
 
Of the ones I have tried, the Federal Premium group the best by far at 100 yards, 8 shots inside of an inch. The only one I tried at 200 was the Winchester Varmint JHP 45g. I was pretty cold by the time I hit the 200 yard line so I didn't really do any shooting on it, just 8 rounds to see how it was.

I have a new scope coming for the rifle so I will have to go through and sight it all in again, but I am thinking the Federal Premiums will be the way to go, for accuracy and consistency anyways.

The land where I will be hunting for the most part is a mix of farm fields and bush. I have never been there yet but have checked it out using Google Earth. Based on the info I have been getting using the program tools, the longest range uninterrupted range on average is about 200 yards. This is the area a friend of mine deer hunts and according to him, there is a ton of coyotes out there. He said that during deer season they were seeing dozens of them at a time during the days at several spots.
 
Try these if you cans find them... Haven't ran them thru a bolt gun yet but grouped well in 2 M4's.

971cbd67.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom