black horn 209

I use it in my TC Impact, no sign of corrosion BUT once I have fired the rifle, I clean as though it is corrosive.

The benefits of 209 is that you can fire many rounds at the range sighting in & not worry about build up. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences...

Cheers
Jay
 
BH 209 in my experience is very consistent. shot to shot with conicals in my TC omega show very good accuracy with this powder at 100m. I believe it is less hydroscopic than pyrodex so it can be weighed, placed in your speed loader and forgotten about through the season until you need it. It is easy to clean using normal chemicals like Hoppes #9. But when using BP/pyro cleaners it gums up. So read the FAQs on the BH web page. My loads appear to use less powder than pyrodex for similar performance. Ie 80gr volume of BH is similar to 100gr of pyrodex for example.

Fired 15 shots in a string with Lee REAL bullets no wad/card. No cleaning and no crud ring like Pyro with good results. Still have to clean out the primer hole though. However, have not shot and left the barrel dirty over night. I would clean as normal to any BP sub. I really like this powder and use if for hunting. Pyrodex is used for range fun and practice as it is cheaper to run. Elkys two cents....
 
I shot off a can of it and it was ok, got the second can and it wouldn't fire after sitting the barrel for a couple of hours. Missed 2 deer because it wouldn't fire. I went back to triple 7 with the same 90 g charge and it hit a foot higher than the blackhorn. Never try it again.
 
I tried 20 rounds in my Snider once. I was able to get some good groups at 50 yards with it. I left the rifle for a couple of days before cleaning and it had already started to rust. I would say it is corrosive as I never get rust on my other rifles from other smokeless powders.
 
Blackhorn 209 is not good with caps. Need hot primers, shotgun 209s inline work, I hear. I use it in cartage single shot and it is great. It is really a smokeless powder that works like black powder. But it is dirty so clean as soon as you can after shooting, cleans in two wet pass of a patch.
Read all the factory Q and A on there web sight , do as they say, it has its limited use.
 
I load it in 45-70 for my C. Sharps 1875. I use cast 480 grain pointed semi-Postell style bullets (Lee 459-500 mould) with a cardboard overpowder wad. I use either Federal 215M or standard Remington LR primers. The bullets are greased with a beeswax/coconut oil mix and a seated with a decent crimp as suggested in the factory load data. There was a good Handloader magazine article on loading BH209 in cartridges a few years ago.
I have had excellent results from the powder so far, and have used about a can-and-a-half.
It cleans up easily, though I think it may be mildly corrosive/hydroscopic in the long term. If you shoot, then wipe the bore with a couple of dry patches only, then let the gun sit for a couple of days it will develop a fur-like coating on the inside of the barrel. I've done this a couple of times, once intentionally to see if it would happen again. I have cleaned the bore out properly with normal smokeless cleaning solutions (Hoppes No.9), and oiled the bore properly and no further coating appears. If left dirty, however, I think it would gather moisture similar to black powder and cause pitting or frosting.
I think it is an excellent powder, if expensive. It just needs a bit more diligence in cleaning.
 
I shot off a can of it and it was ok, got the second can and it wouldn't fire after sitting the barrel for a couple of hours. Missed 2 deer because it wouldn't fire. I went back to triple 7 with the same 90 g charge and it hit a foot higher than the blackhorn. Never try it again.

What primer did you use? 209 is light years ahead of 777.
I have had 209 in the barrel for 24 hours plus, fired just fine.
 
I was using Winchester shotgun primers. I know it was likely a bad can, but I will stick with triple 7, and will not try blackhorn again. Triple 7 has never let me down.

Blackhorn says not to use some primers, what Winchester ones did you use?
Blackhorn recommends CCI 209M and Federal 209A, and I have had great success with Cheddite primers, and they are waterproof.
 
Just bought the vari flame primer system from prbullet. It uses a 22 Hornet sized case and I have Federal Large Rifle primers. I will be replacing the breech plug in my TC Omega on my next days off and testing it out with this new system on 209. Hear really good things about it. Supposed to provide a cleaner more even burn.
 
Back
Top Bottom